Abundance Estimation in a Feedback Control System Applied to the Management of a Commercial Salmon Fishery
The economic benefits to the industry and the biological advantages to management from increasing the accuracy of yield estimates of commercial salmon fisheries were rigorously analyzed more than ten years ago (Mathews1). However, the means to achieve the requisite accuracy and precision in forecasting and harvest control have not been forthcoming. It is possible that the lack of progress is due to the nature of the methods pursued and not to a lack of effort.
KeywordsSockeye Salmon Commercial Fishery Time Density Oncorhynchus Nerka Alaska Department
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S.B. Mathews, Economic Evaluation of Forecasts of Sockeye Salmon Runs to Bristol Bay, Alaska. Ph.D. Dissertation, Univ. Washington ( 1967 ). Also, FAO, United Nations, Rome (1971).Google Scholar
- 3.C.J. Walters and S. Buckingham, A Control System for Intraseason Salmon Management, Proc. of a Workshop on Salmon Management, Intern Inst. Applied Systems Analysis, Schloss Laxenburg, Austria (1975).Google Scholar
- 4.B.J. Rothschild and J.W. Balsiger, A Linear Programming Solution to Salmon Management, Fish. Bull. 69: 117–140 (1971).Google Scholar
- 5.G.E. Lord, Characterization of the Optimum Data Acquisition and Management of a Salmon Fishery as a Stochastic Dynamic Program, Fish. Bull. 41: 1029–1037 (1973).Google Scholar
- 6.B. Knudsen, P.H. Poe and O.A. Mathisen, A Data File for the Bristol Bay Sockeye Salmon Fishery. Univ. Washington Fish. Res. Inst. Circ. 72–9 (1972).Google Scholar
- 7.R.D. Paulus, Bristol Bay Test Fishing Program, Anadromous Fish Act Proj. Completion Rep. AFC-31, Alaska Dept. Fish and Game, Div. Comm. Fish., Juneau, Alaska (1973).Google Scholar
- 8.R.R. Straty, The Migratory Pattern of Adult Sockeye Salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) in Bristol Bay as Related to the Distribution of Their Home-river Waters, Ph.D. Dissertation, Oregon State Univ., Corvallis (1969).Google Scholar
- 9.O.A. Mathisen, Sockeye Salmon Management in Bristol Bay, Univ. of Alaska Sea Grant Publication (in press) (1979).Google Scholar
- 10.P.R. Mundy, A Quantitative Measure of Migratory Timing Illustrated by Application to the Management of Commercial Salmon Fisheries, Ph.D. Dissertation, Univ. Washington, Seattle (1979).Google Scholar
- 11.O.A. Mathisen and M. Berg, Growth Rates of the Char in the Vardnes River, Troms, Northern Norway, Report No. 48, Inst. Freshwater Res., Drottingholm (1968).Google Scholar
- 12.T. Nishiyama, Food Energy Requirements of Bristol Bay Sockeye Salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka Walbaum)During the Last Marine Life Stage, Spec. Vol.: 289–320, Res. Inst. No Pacific Fisheries, Faculty of Fisheries, Hikkaido Univ., Hakodate, Japan (1977).Google Scholar
- 13.R.L. Burgner, Some Features of Ocean Migrations and Timing of Pacific Salmon, Contrib. No. 488, College of Fisheries, Univ. Washington (1978).Google Scholar