Metallographic Quality Control of Welding and Brazing
Metallography serves as an invaluable quality control technique in many welding and brazing operations in the energy field. It often supplements nondestructive testing processes such as dye-penetrant and radiography. Additionally, it can provide information ordinarily not obtainable by conventional inspection procedures. This paper describes a number of case histories illustrating the value of metallography in assuring integrity in the fabrication of metals and components in energy systems.
KeywordsWeld Metal Austenitic Stainless Steel Transition Joint Stainless Steel Weld Metal Dissimilar Metal Weld
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G.M. Goodwin, N.C. Cole, and G.M. Slaughter, “A Study of Ferrite Morphology in Austenitic Stainless Steel Weldments,” Weld J. (Miami) 51(9): 425–s–429–s (September 1972).Google Scholar
- 2.A.J. Moorhead and G.M. Slaughter, “Welding Studies on Arc-Cast Molybdenum,” ; Weld. J. (Miami) 53(5): 185–s–191–s (May 1974).Google Scholar
- 3.E.A. Franco-Ferreira and G.M. Slaughter, “Welding of Columbium-1% Zirconium,” Welding J. (N. Y.) 42(1). 29–36 (January 1963).Google Scholar
- 4.N.C. Cole, R.G. Gilliand, and G.M. Slaughter, “Weldability of Tungsten and Its Alloys,” Welding J. (N. Y.) 50(9). 419–s–426–s (September 1971).Google Scholar
- 5.R.G. Gilliland and G.M. Slaughter, “Fusion Welding of End Caps in Beryllium Tubes,” Welding J. (N. Y.) 42(1), 29–36 (January 1963).Google Scholar
- 6.G.M. Slaughter, E.A. Franco-Ferreira, and P. Patriarca, “Welding and Brazing of High Temperature Radiators and, Heat Exchangers,” Welding J. (N. Y.) 47(1). 15–22 (January 1968).Google Scholar
- 7.R.J. Gray, J.F. King, J.M. Leitnaker, and G.M. Slaughter, Examination of a Failed Transition Weld Joint and the Associated Base Metals, ORNL-5223 (January 1977).Google Scholar
- 8.J.F. King, M.D. Sullivan, and G.M. Slaughter, “Development of an Improved Stainless Steel to Ferritic Steel Transition Joint,” Weld. J. (Miami) 56(11): 354–s–358–s (November 1977).Google Scholar