A Model for a Molecular Cloning System in Higher Plants: Isolation of Plant Viral Promotors
Several different technical approaches could be taken in the development of a genetic engineering system in higher plants. Our laboratory is planning to construct molecular cloning vehicles in E. coli which can be used in higher plant cells and in regenerated higher plants. By combining isolated transcriptional “promotors” from plant DNA and known bacterial genes, we hope to obtain selectable genetic markers for plant cells. Fragments of rDNA and other repeat sequence DNA from host plants are being isolated as a homologous sequence for recombination with the host genome. The rationale of our plan is outlined herein and our results on the isolation of promoter sequences from a plant DNA virus are summarized.
KeywordsCorn Hepatitis Recombination Polypeptide Resis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bolivar, F., Rodriquez, R. L., Greene, P. J., Betlach, M. C., Heyneker, H. C., Boyer, H. W., Crosa, J. M., and Falkow, S., 1977b, Construction and characterization of new cloning vehicle, II A multipurpose cloning system. Gene 2: 95: 113.Google Scholar
- Bourgin, J. P., 1978, Isolement de mutants a partir de cellules vegetales en culture in vitro, Physio. Veg. 16: 339.Google Scholar
- Lurquin, D. F., and Kado, C. I., 1977, E. coli plasmid pBR313 insertion into plant protoplasts and into their nuclei, Molec. gen. Genet, 154: 113.Google Scholar
- Malaga, P., 1979, Resistance mutants and their use in genetic manipulation (unpublished manuscript, Inst. Plant Phys., Hungarian Acad. Sci., Szeged, Hungary).Google Scholar
- McKnight, T. D., Heyneker, H. L., and Meagher, R. B., 1980, Isolation and characterization of DNA sequences from cauliflower mosaic virus which function as promotors in E. coli,(manuscript in preparation).Google Scholar
- McKnight, T. D., and Meagher, R. B., 1979, Isolation and location of potential promotors of cauliflower mosaic virus. Plant Phys. 63:33, Abst. No. 183.Google Scholar
- Meagher, R. B., 1977, The development of a molecular cloning system in higher plants. In, Genetic Engineering for Nitrogen Fixation, Ed. by A. Hollaender, et al., Plenum Corp., N.Y., N.Y.Google Scholar
- Pribnow, D., 1975, Bacteriophage T7 early promotors: Nucleotide sequences of two RNA polymerase binding sites, J. Mol. Biol. 99: 419.Google Scholar
- Rodriquez, R. L., West, R. W., Heyneker, H. L., Bolivar, F., and Boyer, H. W., 1980, Characterizating wild-type and mutant promotors of a tetracycline resistance gene in pBR313, (manuscript in preparation).Google Scholar
- Shanske, S., Melera, P. W., and Biedler, J.L., 1978, Overproduction of dihydrofolate reductase by antifolate resistant Chinese hamster cells. Cell Biol. 79: 345.Google Scholar
- Szostack, J. W., and Wu, R., 1979, Insertion of a genetic marker into the ribosomal DNA of yeast, Plasmid, in press.Google Scholar