Optical Bistability and Differential Gain
A Fabry-Perot interferometer containing a nonlinear medium exhibits many fascinating operating characteristics including hysteresis and AC gain. The basic concept and physical picture are given. The experiment demonstrating optical bistability in Na is described. The dominant role often played by nonlinear phase shifts was first discovered in analyzing that experiment. A simple analytic model of such dispersive bistability is derived giving simple relations between initial plate detuning, plate reflectivity, and magnitude of the nonlinearity for bistability or gain.
KeywordsCoherence Assure Refraction Tral Reso
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H. Seidel, U.S. Patent No. 3,610,731 (Oct. 5, 1971 ).Google Scholar
- 4.J. W. Austin and L. G. DeShazer, J. Opt. Soc. Am. 61, 650 (1971).Google Scholar
- 5.E. Spiller, J. Opt. Soc. Am. 61, 699 (1971) and J. Appl. Phys. 43, 1673 (1972).Google Scholar
- 6.S. L. McCall, H. M. Gibbs, G. G. Churchill, and T. N. C. Venkatesan, Bull. Am. Phys. Soc. 20, 636 (1975) and J. Opt. Soc. Am. 65, 1184 (1975). H. M. Gibbs, S. L. McCall, and T. N. C. Venkatesan, Phys. Rev. Lett. 36, 1135 (1976) and U. S. Patent No. 4, 012, 699.Google Scholar
- 10.R. Bonifacio and L. A. Lugiato, Opt. Commun. 19, 172 (1976) and in Ref. 11.Google Scholar
- 11.L. Mandel and E. Wolf, eds., Fourth Rochester Conference on Coherence and Quantum Optics, 1977.Google Scholar
- 12.L. M. Narducci and R. Gilmore in Ref. 11.Google Scholar
- 13.P. W. Smith and E. H. Turner, Appl. Phys. Lett. 30, 280 (1977) and J. Opt. Soc, Am. 67, 250 (1977).Google Scholar
- 15.S. G. Rautian and I. I. Sobel’man, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 41, 456 (1961) [Sov. Phys. JETP 14, 328 (1962)]. See also B. R. Mollow, Phys. Rev. A 5, 2217 (1972); S. Haroche and F. Hartmann, Phys. Rev. 6, 1280 (1972); Ref. 3.Google Scholar
- 16.D. W. Aleksandrov, A. M. Bonch-Bruevich, V. A. Khodovoi, and N. A. Chigir, Pis’ma Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 18, 102 (1973) [JETP Lett. 18, 58 (1973)].Google Scholar