Effect of Particle Size Distribution on Sintering
Studies have been performed examining the effect of the geometric standard deviation (1nσ) of lognormal distributions of tungsten powders on the resulting microstructure and sintering behaviour. Lognormal powder size distribution with controlled mean size and 1nσ were produced by classifying bulk powders into narrow size cuts and reblending in the desired proportions. Sintering behaviour of the blend was evaluated by comparing densification rates of samples with different 1nσ values at each of several constant mean particle sizes. Specimen microstructures were evaluated in detail to better understand the observed sintering behaviour.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.C. Lacour and M. Paulus, Phys. of Sintering, 5 (1973) 489.Google Scholar
- 4.G. C. Kuczynski, Materials Science Research, 10, Sintering and Catalysis, G. C. Kuczynski, ed., Plenum Press, New York, NY, 1975, 325.Google Scholar
- 5.R. T. DeHoff, R. A. Rummel, H. P. LaBuff and F. N. Rhines, Modem Developments in Powder Metallurgy, 1 Plenum Press, New York, NY, 1966, 310.Google Scholar
- 6.A. R. Poster, C. T. Waldo, and H. H. Hausner, Progress in Powder Metallurgy, 16 (1960) 56.Google Scholar
- 7.F. N. Rhines, R. T. DeHoff and J. Kronsbein, A Topological Study of the Sintering Process, Final Report to U.S. AE.C., December, 1969.Google Scholar
- 8.B. R. Patterson and L. A. Benson, Progress in Powder Metallurgy, 39, Metal Powder Industries Federation, Princeton, NJ, 1984, 215.Google Scholar
- 9.B. R. Patterson and J. A. Griffin, Modern Developments in Powder Metallurgy, 15, Metal Powder Industries Federation, Princeton, NJ, 1985, 279.Google Scholar
- 10.B. R. Patterson and V. D. Parkhe, to be published in Progress in Powder Metallurgy, 40, Metal Powder Industries Federation, Princeton, NJ, 1986.Google Scholar
- 12.V. D. Parkhe and B. R. Patterson, Effect of Powder Size Distribution on Pore Structure in Powder Compacts, submitted to Metallurgical Transactions, 1986.Google Scholar
- 13.F. N. Rhines and B. R. Patterson, Metall. Trans. A, 13A (1982) 413.Google Scholar