Polymer Processing Operations Other Than Shaping
Polymer processing operations which do not involve shaping are defined here as those which are concerned with the synthesis of high molecular weight polymers, and those which are concerned with affecting physico-chemical changes in the nature of polymeric materials. These operations, which are most often conducted upstream from the shaping operations (i.e., extrusion, injection molding, blow molding, tubular film blowing, fiber spinning), include by way of example: vapor-liquid stripping operations when the liquid phase is a molten polymer or polymer solution (devolatilization), liquid-liquid stripping operations where one liquid is a molten polymer or polymeric solution, gas absorption in molten polymers, polymerization and grafting reactions, mixing, pumping and pressurization, and filtration.
KeywordsPolymeric Solution Mass Transfer Coefficient Injection Molding Twin Screw Extruder Screw Speed
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Collins, G. P., Denson, C. D., and Astarita, G., Determination of Mass Transfer Coefficients for Bubble-Free Devolatilization of Polymeric Solutions in Twin Screw Extruders, AIChE J., in press (1983).Google Scholar
- Denson, C. D., 1983, Stripping Operations in Polymer Processing, in: “Advances in Chemical Engineering, Vol. 12,” J. Wei, ed., Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Latinen, G. A., 1962, Devolatilization of Viscous Polymer Systems, ACS Adv. Chem. Series, 34: 235.Google Scholar
- Newman, R. E., and Simon, R. H. M., A Mathematical Model of Devolatilization Promoted by Bubble Formation, 73rd Annual A.I.Ch.E. Meeting, Chicago, IL (November 1980).Google Scholar
- Pell, T. M., Jr., and Davis, T. Q., 1973, Diffusion and Reaction in Polymer Melts, J. Poly. Sci., Poly. Phy. Ed., 11: 1671.Google Scholar
- Randa, S. K., Extrusion Foaming of Coaxial Cables of Melt- Fabricable Fluorocarbon Resins, 35th International Wire and Cable Symposium, Cherry Hill, NJ (November 1981).Google Scholar
- Tadmor, Z., and Klein, I., 1970, “Engineering Principles of Plasticating Extrusion,” Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York.Google Scholar
- Todd, D. B., 1974, Polymer Devolatilization, Soc. Plast. Eng., Technical Papers.Google Scholar
- Werner, H., 1980, Devolatilization of Polymers in Multi-Screw Devolatilizers, Devolatilization of Plastics, Verrin Deutscher Ingenieure Dusseldorf, UDI-Gessellschaft Kunststofftechnik.Google Scholar