Practical Adhesion Measurement in Adhering Systems: A Phase Boundary Sensitive Test
The strength of adhesive bonds is assessed by means of mechanical tests in which an increasing load is applied until failure occurs. This paper describes a three point flexure test using a single adherend/adhesive structure. Contrary to what occurs with usual tests such as single or double lap shear and peel tests, this configuration is sensitive to the adherend surface chemistry variations and adhesive cure conditions and thus allows evaluation of the properties of the adhesive bond joint interphase. Data are presented which demonstrate the flexure test sensitivity to the effects of surface prebonding treatments on interphasial mechanical properties, such as rigidity modulus. Photoelastic isochromatic fringes are recorded simultaneously with flexure test data as a means to monitor stress distribution, failure initiation and crack propagation. This test shows that the stresses are uniformly distributed along the specimen length and remain parallel to the interfacial region and insure failure totally along the adherend/adhesive interface.
KeywordsUltimate Load Peel Test Failure Initiation Flexure Test Rigidity Modulus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.a. K.L. Mittal, in “Adhesion Measurement of Thin Films, Thick Films and Bulk Coatings”, K.L. Mittal, Editor, ASTM STP 640, pp. 5–17, American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, 1978.Google Scholar
- 1.b. K.L. Mittal, Electrocomponent Sci., Technol., 3, 21 (1976).Google Scholar
- 1.c. K.L. Mittal, Pure Appl. Chem., 52, 1295 (1980).Google Scholar
- 3.A.A. Roche, J.S. Solomon and M.J. Romand, in “Microscopic Aspects of Adhesion and Lubrication”, J.M. Georges, Editor, Tribology Series 7, pp. 333–342, Elsevier, 1982.Google Scholar
- 4.S.P. Timoshenko, D.H. Young, “Theory of Structures”, McGraw Hill, New York, 1965.Google Scholar
- 5.W. Flügge, “Handbook of Engineering Mechanics”, Mc Graw Hill, New York, 1962Google Scholar
- 6.A.A. Roche, Thesis, Lyon, France, 1983.Google Scholar
- 7.A.A. Roche, Air Force Wright Aeronautical Laboratories, Dayton, OH, Technical Report AFWAL-TR-80-4004, 1980.Google Scholar
- 8.A.A. Roche, J.S. Solomon and W.L. Baun, Appl. Surf. Sci., 7, 83 (1981).Google Scholar
- 9.A.A. Roche, M. Charbonnier, F. Gaillard, M. Romand and R. Bador, Appl. Surf. Sci., 9, 227 (1981).Google Scholar