Morphological Measurements in the Aging Rat Cerebral Cortex
This chapter deals with the structural changes seen in the brains of aging rats exposed to differential environments. We have previously reviewed the overall progress of experiments from our laboratory indicating brain changes due to modified external stimuli (Diamond and Connor, 1981, 1982). We showed changes in occipital cortical cell number and pyramidal cell dendrites from animals living in enriched, standard colony, and impoverished conditions. The present chapter includes some of the same data, but adds new information from the somatosensory cortex which has more recently been obtained. New dendritic spine data have also been presented to compare with our previous work.
KeywordsCage Dementia Neurol Pyrami
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Connor, J. R., Jr., 1981, Environmental influences on aging brain morphology, Ph.D. thesis, Department of Physiology-Anatomy, University of California, Berkeley, California.Google Scholar
- Diamond, M. C., 1976, Anatomical brain changes induced by environment, in: Knowing, Thinking, and Believing( J. McGaugh and L. Petrinovich, eds.), Plenum Press, New York, pp. 215–241.Google Scholar
- Diamond, M. C., and Connor, J. R., Jr., 1981, A search for the potential of the aging brain, in: Brain Neurotransmitters and Receptors in Aging and Age-Related Disorders( S. Enna, T. Samorajski, and B. Beer, eds.), Raven Press, New York, pp. 43–58.Google Scholar
- Diamond, M. C., and Connor, J. R., 1982, Plasticity of the aging cerebral cortex, in: Physiological and Pathophysiological Aspects of the Aging Brain( S. Hoyer, ed.), Springer-Verlag, New York, pp. 36–44.Google Scholar
- Feldman, M. L., 1976, Aging changes in the morphology of cortical dendrites, in: Neurobiology of Aging( R. D. Terry and S. Gershon, eds.), Raven Press, New York, pp. 221–227.Google Scholar
- Minot, C. S., 1908, The Problem of Age, Growth, and Death, G. P. Putnam’s Sons, New York.Google Scholar
- Valverde, F., 1970, The Golgi method: A tool for comparative structural analyses, in: Contemporary Research Methods in Neuroanatomy( W. J. H. Nauta and S. O. E. Ebbesson, eds.), Springer- Verlag, New York, pp. 12–28.Google Scholar
- Van der Loos, H., 1959, Dendro-dendritische Verbindingen in de Schors der Grote Hersenen, H. Stam, Haarlem.Google Scholar
- Yakovlev, P. I., and Lecours, A. R., 1967, The myelogentic cycles of regional maturation of the brain, in: Development of the Brain in Early Life (A. Minkowski, ed.), Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, Edinburgh, pp. 3–70.Google Scholar