Renal Hypophosphatemic Rickets
Renal hyponhosphatemic rickets is a renal tubular disorder which has fascinated workers in the field for a long time (1–7). The condition is concurrently known as sex-linked dominant hypophosphatemic rickets, vitamin D resistant rickets and familial hypophosphatemia. Recent advances in phosphate metabolism, pathophysiology, and treatment will be reviewed here.
KeywordsTubular Reabsorption Hypophosphatemic Rickets Serum Phosphate Concentration Renal Tubular Disorder Resistant Rickets
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Fraser D, Leeming JM, Cerwenka EA, Kenyeres K: Studies of the pathogenesis of the high renal clearance of phosphate in hypophosphatemic vitamin Drefractory rickets of the simple type. Am J Dis Child 98:586, 1959.Google Scholar
- 8.Harrison HE, Harrison HC: Disorders of calcium and phosphate metabolism in childhood and adolescence. Philadelphia, 1979, W. B. Saunders.Google Scholar
- 12.Glorieux FH, Scriver CR: Transport, metabolism and clinical use of inorganic phosphate in X-linked hypophosphatemia. In Frame B, Parfitt AM, Duncan H, editors: The clinical aspects of metabolic bone disease. Amsterdam, 1973, Excerpta Medica ICS, p 421.Google Scholar
- 13.Rasmussen H, Anast C: Familial hypophosphatemic rickets and vitamin-D dependent rickets. In Stanbury JB, Wyngaarden JB, Frederickson DS, et al, editors: The metabolic basis of inherited disease, ed. 5, New York, 1983, McGraw-Hill, p 1743.Google Scholar
- 15.Balsam S, Garabedian M, Gorgniard R, Holick MF, DeLuca HF: 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin-D3 and 1 alpha-hydroxyvitamin-D3 in children: biologic and therapeutic effects in nutritional rickets and different types of vitamin D resistance. Pediatr Res 9:586, 1975.Google Scholar
- 26.Chesney RW, Mazess RB, DeLuca HF: Long-term influences of calcitriol and supplemental phosphate in X-linked hypophosphatemic rickets. Calcif Tissue Int 33:307, 1981.Google Scholar
- 27.Kristiansen JH, Pedersen VF: Hypophosphatemic vitamin D-resistant rickets treated with lα-hydroxyvitamin-D. Int J Ped Nephr 2:245, 1981.Google Scholar
- 28.Russeil RGG, Smith R, Preston C, Walton RJ, Woods CG, Henderson RG, Norman AW: The effect of 1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol on renal tubular reabsorption of phosphate, intestinal absorption of calcium and bone histology in hypophosphatemic renal tubular rickets. Clin Sci Mol Med 48:177, 1975.Google Scholar
- 31.Alon U, Chan JCM; Thiazides as adjuvant therapy in X-linked dominant renal hypophosphatemic rickets. 67th annual meeting of the Feder Am Soc Exp Biol (Chicago, April 1983).Google Scholar
- 32.Alon U, Costanze LS, Chan JCM: Additive hypocalciuric effects of amiloride and hydrochlorothiazide in patients treated with calcitriol. Min Electrolyte Metabl 10:379, 1984.Google Scholar