Supportive therapy for liver transplantation
Transplantation of the liver in man has been a practical possibility for over fifteen years. Problems of tissue matching and rejection are significantly less than those found in renal transplantation . The principal stumbling block is the technical complexity of the operation. Not only is the surgical procedure difficult and time consuming , but the perioperative management of the patients by the anaesthetic team requires considerable resources of manpower, equipment and laboratory facilities.
KeywordsLiver Transplantation Primary Biliary Cirrhosis Orthotopic Liver Transplantation Donor Liver Fresh Freeze Plasma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Caine RY (ed): Liver Transplantation. London, Grune & Stratton, 1983.Google Scholar
- 3.Krom RAF, Gips CH, Houthoff HJ, Newton DEF, van de Waaij D, Beelen J, Haagsma EB, Slooff MJH: Orthotopic liver transplantation in Groningen (The Netherlands). Hepatology, 1984; 4: 616–656.Google Scholar
- 5.Starzl TE, Putnam CW: Experience in Hepatic Transplantation. Philadelphia, WB Saunders, 1969: 350.Google Scholar
- 6.Starzl TE, Marchioro TL, Von Kaulla HN, Hermann B, Brittain RS, Waddell WR: Homotransplantation of the liver in humans. Surg Gynec Obstet, 1963; 117: 695–76.Google Scholar
- 8.American Association of Blood Banks and American Red Cross: Circular of Information for the Use of Human Blood and Blood Components by Physicians. Washington, DC., Revised, 1978.Google Scholar
- 9.Strunin L: The Liver and Anaesthesia. London, WB Saunders, 1977: 121.Google Scholar
- 11.Van Berge Henegouwen DP: Infraclaviculaire subclaviacatheterisatie. Academic Thesis, University of Amsterdam, 1979.Google Scholar
- 13.Imhoff GV van, Wesenhagen H, Haagsma E. Smit Sibinga CTh, Krom RAF, Gips CH: Bleeding during orthotopic liver transplantation in man. In: Haemostatic Failure in Liver Disease. Amsterdam, Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, 1983.Google Scholar
- 14.Haagsma EB, Wesenhagen H. Imhoff GW van, Krom RAF, Gips CH: Predictive factors concerning haemostasis during orthotopic liver transplantation. Eur Society for Organ Transplantation Proceedings. Zürich, 1983; 40.Google Scholar
- 15.Ansell J, Parrilla N, King M, Fournier L, Symanski I, Doherty P, der Salm T, Cutler B: Survival of autotransfused blood cells recovered from the surgical field during cardiovascular operations. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, 1982; 4: 387–91.Google Scholar
- 17.Caine RY McMaster P, Smith DP, Craddock GN, Rolles K, Farman JV, Lindop M, Bethune DW, Wheeldon D, Gill R, Williams R: Use of partial cardiopulmonary bypass during the anhepatic phase of orthotopic liver grafting. Lancet, 1979; 2: 612–14.Google Scholar