Partial: A Software Tool for the Development of Ada Programs
This paper describes a software tool, PARTIAL, that monitors a sequence of stepwise refinements. This tool is designed to collect information about properties of the stepwise refinement of pseudocode, where the pseudocode can be based upon any target language. The particular language selected to illustrate the system here is Ada.
The system is used to analyze a stepwise refinement sequence from Meyers.1 While few patterns appear eveident when looking at this sequence of stepwise refinements, use of the partial metrics system illustrates a set of distinctly linear trends in the development process. These trends suggest questions that can be investigated in the future using the partial metrics approach.
KeywordsPartial Metrics Partial System Size Loop Main Menu Projected Component
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.GJ. Meyers,Software Reliability, John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY, 1976Google Scholar
- 2.P. Gilbert, Software Design and Development, SRA Press, Chicago, 1983Google Scholar
- 3.R. C. Linger, H. D. Mills, and B. I. Witt, Structured Programming: Theory and Practice, Addison-Wesley 1797Google Scholar
- 4.N. Gehani,Ada: An Advanced Introduction, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J., 1983.Google Scholar
- 5.N. Wirth, Program development by stepwise refinement,CACM,14(4), 1971Google Scholar
- 6.N. Wirth, Program development by stepwise refinement,CACM,14(4), 1971Google Scholar
- 7.M. H. Halstead,Elements of Software Science, Elsevier North-Holland, New York, NY, 1977.Google Scholar
- 8.E. Yourdon and L. L. Constantine,Structured Design: Fundamentals of a Discipline of Computer Program and Systems Design, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1979.Google Scholar