Complement Components in Rheumatic Diseases
The complement system consists of a group of at least 18 serum proteins that interact sequentially to affect systems of inflammation (Fearon, 1981; Frank and Atkinson, 1975; Muller-Eberhard, 1974; Schur, 1977). Activation of complement is accompanied by a series of specific and limited enzymatic reactions that result in the cleavage of certain components, which subsequently generate new enzymatic activities and lead to the formation of complement complexes that have additional biological activities. Some of these activities are carried out on cells or immune complex surfaces and some in fluid; in some cases, other proteins inhibit these activities, at least in part.
KeywordsSystemic Lupus Erythematosus Immune Complex Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Patient Lupus Nephritis Complement Component
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arroyaue, C. M., Taylor, D. G., Gallup, P., 1978, Screening test for complement activation by counterim-munoelectrophoresis, Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 69:440.Google Scholar
- Cochrane, C. G., and Koffler, D., 1973, Immune complex disease in experimental animals and man, Adv. Immunol. 16:186–261.Google Scholar
- Fearon, D. T., 1981, Complement as a mediator of inflammation, Clin. Immunol. Allergy 1:225–242.Google Scholar
- Frank, M. M., and Atkinson, J. P., 1975, Complement in clinical medicine, DM 1975 (Jan.):1–154.Google Scholar
- Glass, D., Fearon, D. T., and Austen, K. F., 1983, Inherited abnormalities of the complement system, in:Metabolic Basis of Inherited Disease, 5th ed. ( J. B. Stanbury and J. B. Wyngaarden, eds.), McGraw- Hill, New York, pp. 1934–1955.Google Scholar
- Gough, W., Lightfoot, R. W., and Christian, C. L., 1974, Cryoglobulins and complement in immune complex disease, Arthritis Rheum. 17:497.Google Scholar
- Koffler, D., and Bieseker, G., 1983, Immunopathogenesis of tissue injury, in:The Clinical Management of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus ( P. H. Schur, ed.), Grune & Stratton, New York, p. 29–47.Google Scholar
- Muller-Eberhard, H. J., 1974, The complement system and nephritis, Adv. Nephrol. 4:3–14.Google Scholar
- Ruddy, S., Carpenter, C. B., Chin, K. W., Krostmann, J. N., Sorter, N. A., Gotze, O., Muller-Eberhad, H. J., and Austen, K. F., 1975, Human complement metabolism: An analysis of 144 studies, Medicine 54:165–178.Google Scholar
- Schur, P. H., 1975, Complement in lupus, Clin. Rheum. Dis. 1:519–543.Google Scholar