The Cholinergic Basis of Memory — A Reappraisal
Research conducted during the last two decades has increasingly supported the impression that a deficit in the cholinergic neurotransmitter system of the brain plays an important role in the memory and cognitive impairments accompanying aging. The basis of the cholinergic mechanisms affecting memory have been extensively reviewed in the papers by Drachman and Leavitt (1974); Drachman (1977); Sitaram, Weingartner and Gillin (1979a, b, 1982 etc.); Davis and Yamamura (1978); Corkin (1981), and Bartus et al. (1982). Interference in the cholinergic transmission by scopolamine, produces cognitive deficits similar to that seen in normal aging (Drachman and Leavitt, 1974). This “scopolamine dementia” is characterized by major interference with memory acquisition (encoding) with relative sparing in the retrieval of already acquired information. The magnitude of evidence pointing towards a cholinergic deficiency in Senile Dementia Alzheimer’s Type (SDAT) makes a pertinent analogy to Parkinson’s disease. The deficiency of striatal dopamine in Parkinsonism is secondary to loss of dopaminergic neurons in the substantia nigra.
KeywordsMuscarinic Receptor Senile Dementia Cholinergic Mechanism Demented Subject Geriatric Subject
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Corkin, S., 1981, Acetylcholine, aging and Alzheimer’s disease: Implications for treatment, Trends in Neurosciences, 287.Google Scholar
- Davies, P., 1979, Biochemical changes in Alzheimer’s disease Senile dementia: Neurotransmitters in senile dementia of the Alzheimer’s type, in: “Congenital and Acquired Cognitive Disorders,” R. Katzman, ed., Raven Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Davis, K.L., Mohs, R.C., Davis, B.M., Levy, M., Rosenberg, G.S., Horvath, T.B., DeNigris, Y., Ross, A., Decker, P., and Rothpearl, A., 1981, Cholinomimetics and Human Memory: Clinical Studies in Alzheimer’s Disease and Scopolamine Dementia, T. Crook and S. Gershon, eds., Mark Powley Associates, Inc., New Canaan.Google Scholar
- Gottfries, C.G. and Winblad, B., 1979, Neurotransmitters and related enzymes in normal aging and dementia of Alzheimer type (DAT), Read before the Freie Universitat Department of Gerontology and Institute of Neuropsychopharmacology on Methodological Considerations in Determining the Effects on Aging on the Central Nervous System, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Hunter, B., Zornetzer, S.F., Jarvik, M.E. and McGaugh, J.L., 1977, Modulation of learning and memory: Effects of drugs influencing neurotransmitters, in: “Handbook of Psychopharmacology Vol. 8,” L.L. Iversen, S.D. Iversen, and S.H. Snyder, eds., Plenum Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Karczmar, A.G., 1967, Pharmacologic, toxicologic, and therapeutic properties of anticholinesterase agents (section C), in, “Physiological Pharmacology, A Comprehensive Treatise,” W.S. Root, and F.G. Hoffman, eds., Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Kaye, W.H., Sitaram, N., Weingartner, H., Ebert, M.H., Smallberg, S., and Gillin, J.C., 1982, Modest facilitation of memory in dementia with combined lecithin and anticholinesterase treatment, Biol. Psych., 17(2):275.Google Scholar
- Miller, N.E., and Cohen, G.D., 1981, Clinical aspects of Alzheimer’s disease and senile dementia, in: “Aging,” N.E. Miller, and G.D. Cohen, eds., Raven Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Rosencrans, J.A., and Chance, W.T., 1977, Cholinergic and non- cholinergic aspects of the discriminative stimulus properties of nicotine, Adv. in Behav. Biol., 22: 155.Google Scholar
- Sitaram, N., and Weingartner, H., 1979, Cholinergic mechanisms in human memory, in: “Alzheimer’s disease: Early Recognition of Potentially Reversible Deficits,” A.I.M. Glen, and L.J. Whalley, eds., Churchill Livingston, Edinburgh.Google Scholar
- Wang, H.E., 1977, Dementia of old age, in “Aging and Dementia,” W.M. Smith, and M. Kinshourne, eds., Spectrum, New York.Google Scholar
- Weingartner, H., Sitaram, N., and Gillin, J.C., 1979, The role of the cholinergic nervous system in memory consolidation, Bull. Psychonomic Soc., 13(1):9.Google Scholar