The Use of Nude Mice to Ascertain the Malignant Capacity of Human Colon Cancer
The metastatic behavior of 14 cell lines derived from 13 individual human tumor cell lines (six of which were colon carcinomas) have been assessed in athymic, nude mice. Many of these lines produced lung metastases after intravenous injection (experimental metastasis) and subcutaneous injection (spontaneous metastasis) into nude mice; however, the most dramatic expression of metastatic behavior was obtained after the injection of tumor cells into the spleens of recipient mice. With this route of cell inoculation, large tumor deposits frequently were found in the liver, the lungs, and the mesenteric and omental lymph nodes. Injection of human tumor lines into the spleens of athymic, nude mice appears to be a novel way of ascertaining the malignant capacity of neoplastic cells.
KeywordsNude Mouse Natl Cancer Inst Human Tumor Cell Line Athymic Nude Mouse Metastatic Behavior
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hart IR: The role of animal models in the study of experimental metastasis. In: LA Liotta and IR Hart (eds). Tumor invasion and metastasis. Martinus Nijhoff, The Hague, 1982, pp 1–14.Google Scholar
- 4.Kanazaki T, Hashimoto K, Bath DW: Heterotransplantation of human malignant melanoma cell lines in athymic nude mice. J Natl Cancer Inst 62: 1131–1153, 1979.Google Scholar
- 6.Sordat B, Pritsche R, Mach JP, Carrel S, Ozzello L, Cerotini 3Cs Morphologic and functional evaluation of human solid tumors serially transplanted in nude mice. In: J Rygaard and CO Povlsen (eds), Proceedings of the First International Workshop on nude mice. Gustav-Fisher Verlag, Stuttgart, 1974, pp 269–277.Google Scholar
- 8.Sordat BC, Ueyama Y, Fogh J: Metastasis of tumor xenografts in the nude mouse. In: J Fogh and BC Giovanella (eds). The nude mouse in experimental and clinical research. Vol 2. Academic Press, New York, 1982, pp 95–143.Google Scholar
- 11.Fidler 13: Selection of successive tumor lines for metastases. Nature 242: 148–149, 1973.Google Scholar
- 15.Vezeridis MP, Meinmer PA, Kajiji SM, Turner MD, Weimann MC, Calabresi P: Hepatic metastases of human tumor cell lines in nude mice (Abstract). Clin Res 32: 423, 1984.Google Scholar