Cyclophosphamide, Adriamycin, vincristine, and dexamethasone in the treatment of bulky central nervous system lymphoma
Six patients with bulky central nervous system lymphomas (5 primary and 1 metastatic) were treated with a combination of cyclophosphamide, Adriamycin, vincristine, and dexamethasone IV prior to receiving cranial irradiation. There was one early death from massive hemorrhage from peptic ulcer disease. The other 5 patients all had rapid marked shrinkage of tumor, but 3 developed progression or appearance of meningeal disease. In light of these results and of the generally poor prognosis of brain lymphomas managed by radiotherapy alone, we plan further studies combining intensive systemic chemotherapy with intensive intrathecal chemotherapy and cranial irradiation.
KeywordsPeptic Ulcer Disease Primary Central Nervous System Lymphoma Cranial Irradiation Cytosine Arabinoside Central Nervous System Lymphoma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Jellinger K, Rodeskiewicz T, Slowik F: Primary Malignant Lymphomas of the Central Nervous System in Man. Acta Neuropathol (Berlin) Suppl VI: 95–102, 1975Google Scholar
- 6.Neuwelt E, Frenkel E, Hill S: Successful Treatment of Primary Central Nervous System Lymphomas with Chemotherapy after Osmotic Blood-Brain Barrier Opening. Proc Amer Soc Clin Oncol 3: 251, 1984Google Scholar
- 9.Stewart DJ, Richard M, Hugenholtz H, Dennery J, Belanger R, Gerin-Lajoie J, Montpetit V, Nundy D, Prior J, Hopkins H: Penetration of VP-16 (Etoposide) into Human Intracerebral and Extracerebral Tumors. J Neuro-Oncology 2: 133–139, 1984Google Scholar
- 11.Stewart DJ, Lu K, Benjamin RS, Leavens M, Luna M, Yap HY, Loo TL: Concentrations of Vinblastine in Human Intracerebral Tumor and Other Tissues. J Neuro-Oncology 1: 139–144, 1983Google Scholar
- 12.Stewart DJ, Richard MT, Hugenholtz H, Dennery J, Nundy D, Prior J, Montpetit V, Hopkins HS: Penetration of Teniposide (VM-26) into Human Intracerebral Tumors: Preliminary Observations of the Effect of Tumor Type, Rate of Drug Infusion and Prior Treatment with Amphotericin-B or Oral Glycerol. J Neuro-Oncology. 2: 315–324, 1984Google Scholar
- 16.Stewart DJ, Benjamin RS, Luna M, Seifert WE, Loo TL: Human Tissue Distribution of Platinum After Cis-diamminedichloroplatinum. Cancer Chemother and Pharm 10: 51–54, 1982Google Scholar