Pathways to Immunocontraception: Biochemical and Immunological Properties of Glycoprotein Antigens of the Porcine Zona Pellucida
The zona pellucida (ZP) is an extracellular coat which surrounds the mammalian oocyte and whose macromolecular composition is unique for each species. Two-dimensional gel electrophoresis of porcine ZP under reducing conditions resolves four major acidic, charge-heterogeneous glycoproteins with apparent molecular weights of 82,000 (ZP1), 61,000 (ZP2), 55,000 (ZP3) and 21,000 (ZP4). Fractionation of heat-solubilized porcine ZP under nondissociative, nonreducing conditions resulted in a preparation, termed purified pig zona antigen (PPZA), substantially enriched in ZP3 and lacking ZP1 and ZP2. PPZA was highly immunogenic in both rabbit and squirrel monkey. Anti-PPZA sera exhibited contraceptive potential as assessed by in vitro inhibition of homologous sperm-zona binding following antibody treatment of human, pig and squirrel monkey oocytes. Alternatively, fractionation of sodium dodecyl sulfate (SDS)-dissociated porcine ZP under nonreducing conditions resulted in isolation of two electrophoretically homogeneous antigens with apparent molecular weights of 82,000 (82K antigen) and 55,000 (55K antigen) as judged by non-reducing SDS-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis. The 82K antigen exhibited an estimated molecular weight of 345,000 by gel filtration chromatography in nondissociative solvent and was comprised of ZP1 and disulfide-linked heterodimers of ZP2+ZP4 and ZP3+ZP4. The 55K antigen was comprised of ZP3 which was highly aggregated in nondissociative solvent. Each antigen had a characteristic carbohydrate composition and proved to be immunogenic in the rabbit. The effects of active heteroimmunization of squirrel monkeys with 55K antigen on fertility are under investigation.
KeywordsSodium Dodecyl Sulfate Follicular Fluid Zona Pellucida Apparent Molecular Weight Nonreducing Condition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anderson D.J., and Alexander, N.J. 1983. A new look at anti-fertility vaccines. Fertil. Steril. 40: 557–571.Google Scholar
- 4.Dunbar, B.S. 1983. Antibodies to zona pellucida antigens and their role in fertility, in: “Immunology of Reproduction”, T G. Wegmann, T. J. Gill, C. D. Cumming and E. Nisbet-Brown, eds., pp. 507–534, Oxford University Press, New York.Google Scholar
- 5.Dunbar, B.S., Liu, C., and Sammons, D.W. 1981. Identification of the three major proteins of porcine and rabbit zonae pellucidae by high resolution two-dimensional gel electrophoresis: comparison with serum, follicular fluid, and ovarian cell proteins. Biol. Reprod. 24: 1111–1124.Google Scholar
- 11.Gwatkin, R.B.L., Williams, D.T., and Carlo, D.J. 1977. Immunization of mice with heat-solubilized hamster zonae: production of antibody and inhibition of fertility. Fertil. Steril. 28: 871–877.Google Scholar
- 12.Hedrick, J.L., and Wardrip, N. 1980. The macromolecular composition of the porcine zona pellucida. Fed. Proc. 39: 2081.Google Scholar
- 17.O’Farrell, P.H. 1975. High resolution two-dimensional electrophoresis of proteins. J. Biol. Chem. 250: 4007–4021.Google Scholar
- 21.Sacco, A.G. 1981. Immunocontraception: consideration of the zona pellucida as a target antigen, in: “Obstetrics and Gynecology Annual”, R. M. Wynn, ed., Appelton-Century Crofts, New York, Vol. 10, pp. 1–26.Google Scholar
- 23.Sacco, A.G., and Shivers, C.A. 1978. Immunologic inhibition of development, in: “Methods in Mammalian Reproduction”, J. C. Daniel, ed., Academic Press, New York, pp. 203–228.Google Scholar
- 25.Sacco, A.G., Subramanian, M.G., Yurewicz, E.C., DeMayo, F.J., and Dukelow, W.R. 1983. Heteroimmunization of squirrel monkeys (Saimiri sciureus) with a purified porcine zona antigen (PPZA): immune response and biologic activity of antiserum. Fertil. Steril. 39: 350–358.Google Scholar
- 29.Yurewicz, E.C., Sacco, A.G., and Subramanian, M.G. 1983. Isolation and preliminary characterization of a purified pig zona antigen (PPZA) from porcine oocytes. Biol. Reprod. 29:511–523.Google Scholar
- 30.Yurewicz, E.C., Sacco, A.G., and Subramanian, M.G. 1984. Purification and characterization of glycoprotein antigens of the porcine zona pellucida. Fed. Proc. 43: 2039.Google Scholar