Toughness Anisotropy of a SiC/SiC Laminar Composite
The toughnesses of a 2-D laminar SiC/SiC composite consisting of a 40 v/o 8H/S weave Nicalon fabric and a CVI beta SiC matrix were measured at room temperature for the three principal orthogonal directions. The interlaminar toughness was 1.30 MPa m1/2 and those across the fabric were 9.12 and 12.56 MPa m1/2. Other mechanical properties exhibited similar anisotropy. The results are compared with the toughnesses of other SiC materials and a C/C laminar composite of similar macroscopic construction.
KeywordsAnisotropy Carbide Silane Brittle Nitride
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.M. Dauchier, P. Lamicq, and J. Mace, Rev. Int. hautes Temp. Ref. Fr. 19, 285 (1982).Google Scholar
- 3.E. Fitzer, D. Hagen, and H. Strohmeier, p. 525, “Proc. 7th Int. Conf. CVD”, Electrochem. Soc., Princeton (1979).Google Scholar
- 4.A.J. Caputo and W.J. Lackey, “Fabrication of Fiber Reinforced Ceramic Composites by CVI”, Oak Ridge National Laboratory Report, ORNL/TM-9235, Oct. (1984).Google Scholar
- 5.J.W. Warren, “Fiber and Grain Reinforced CVI SiC Matrix Composites”, Amer. Cer. Soc. Conf., Cocoa Beach, FL., Jan. (1985).Google Scholar
- 10.M. Sakai and R.C. Bradt, “Graphical Methods for Determining Non-Linear Fracture Parameters”, (to be published) Proc. 4th Int. Fract. Mech. Ceramics, VPI (1985).Google Scholar
- 11.J. Eftis, D.L. Jones, and H. Liebowitz, Eng. Fract. Mech. 17, 481 (1975).Google Scholar
- 12.G.C. Sih, P.C. Paris, and G.R. Irwin, Int. J. Fract. Mech. 1, 189 (1965).Google Scholar
- 13.M. Sakai, R.C. Bradt, D.B. Fischbach, “Fracture of Pyrolytic Carbon” (to be published in J. Mat. Sc.).Google Scholar
- 15.R.W. Rice, Cer. Eng. Sc. Proc. 2, 7–8, 661 (1981).Google Scholar
- 16.M. Sakai, R.C. Bradt, and A.S. Kobayashi, (to be published).Google Scholar
- 17.Y.M. Pan and R.C. Bradt (to be published).Google Scholar
- 18.H. Abe, H. Chandan, and R.C. Bradt, Bull Amer. Cer. Soc. 57, (6) 587 (1978).Google Scholar