Influence of Microstructure and Chemistry on the Electrical Characteristic of ZnO Varistors
The ZnO voltage limiter or varistor1 has an outstanding nonlinear current-voltage (I-V) characteristic and, as such, is used extensively to suppress the transient voltage surges encountered in the lightning and switching surges.2 The advancement in the state-of-the-art of the varistor in recent years3−9 makes it impossible to describe all the elements of this development within the scope of this paper. The objective of this paper is to concentrate on the microstructure and chemistry of the ZnO varistor and their effects on electrical properties. However, in order to appreciate this correlation, it is first necessary to briefly describe the current- voltage (I-V) characteristics of the varistor.
KeywordsZinc Silicate Bismuth Auger
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.A. Sweetana, T. K. Gupta, W. G. Carlson, R. Grekila, N. Kunkle, and J. Osterhout, “Gapless Surge Arrestors for Power Systems Applications,” EPRI, EL-3166, Vol. 1, Final Report, September 1983.Google Scholar
- 15.J. Wong, “Nature of Intergranular Phase in Non-ohmic ZnO Ceramics Containing 0.5 Mol.% Bi2O3,” J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 57, pp. 357–359Google Scholar
- 24.J. Wong and W. G. Morris, “Microstructure and Phases in Non-ohmic ZnO-Bi2O3 Ceramics,” Ceram. Bull., 53, p. 816 (1974).Google Scholar
- 26.T. K. Gupta and W. G. Carlson, “A Grain Boundary Defect Model for Instability/Stability of ZnO Varistor,” to be published in J. Mat. Sci.Google Scholar
- 28.T. K. Gupta, “60 Hz AC Characteristic of ZnO Varistor Below Breakdown Voltage,” 1984 Conference on Electrical Insl. and Dielectric Phenomena, IEEE Elec. Insl. Soc., October 21–25, pp. 437–447 (1984).Google Scholar
- 29.G. Heiland and E. Mollwo, in Solid State Physics, Vol. 8, Ed. by F. Seitz and D. Turnbull, Academic Press, New York, p. 215.Google Scholar
- 30.R. A. Swalin, in Thermodynamics of Solids, Wiley, New York, 1962, Chapter 15.Google Scholar
- 31.T. Miyoshi, K. Maeda, K. Takahashi, and T. Yamazaki, “Effects of Dopants on Characteristics of ZnO Varistors,” in Advances in Ceramics, Vol. 1, Ed. by L. M. Levinson and D. Hill, Am. Ceram. Soc., 1981, p. 309.Google Scholar