Shock Synthesis of Nickel Aluminides
Recently we reported the synthesis of nickel aluminides in a mixture of elemental aluminum and nickel powders under high pressure shock wave loading . The following are selected features of the reactions observed by post-shock analysis of those specimens: 1. The reaction product and yield were sensitively affected by the shock-loading conditions within the specimens. 2. Broadly speaking, there were three regions of product formation: a region of no reaction or sparse local reactions, a region of substantial multiple reactions containing all the products, and a region of Ni3Al in bulk containing unreacted Ni grains. 3. This Bulk Ni3Al was found in a region of high shock-induced mean bulk temperature (above about 500°C), but relatively low pressure (less than 15 GPa) predicted by careful numerical simulation. 4. The microhardness of Ni3Al (440 DPH at 30 pd load) is closed to that produced by rapid solidification method, and suggests a unique character to the shock process and its potential for producing materials with non-equilibrium microstructures and new compounds.
KeywordsSandia National Laboratory Nickel Powder Shock Wave Loading Nickel Aluminides Nickel Aluminum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Y. Horie, R. A. Graham and I. K. Simonsen, Materials Letters, in press.Google Scholar
- 2.R. A. Graham and D. M. Webb, in Shock Waves in Condensed Matter-1983, J. R. Asay, R. A. Graham and G. K. Straub, Eds., North Holland, New York, 1985.Google Scholar
- 3.R. A. Graham and D. M. Webb, this proceedings.Google Scholar
- 4.M. B. Boslough, R. A. Graham and D. M. Webb, this proceedings.Google Scholar
- 5.S. T. Picraux and D. M. Follstaedt in Surface Modification and Alloying, Ed. J. M. Poate, G. Foti and D. C. Jacobson, Plenum, New York, 1981.Google Scholar
- 6.M. M. P. Janssen and G. D. Rieck, Trans. TMS-AIME 239, 1372 (1967).Google Scholar
- 8.D. Lazarus and N. H. Nachtrieb, in Solids Under Pressure, Ed. W. Paul and D. Warschauer, McGraw Hill, New York, 1963.Google Scholar