Hepatic Artery Infusion (HAI) For Hepatic Metastases in Combination with Hepatic Resection or Hepatic Radiation
Hepatic metastasis is the major cause of death in advanced cancer of the colon and rectum. Survival after the diagnosis of liver metastases ranges from 3–12 months (4,6,7,14). Various modes of therapy have been attempted with only partial success. Resection of isolated hepatic metastases has yielded a 15–30% five year survival (1,3,12,13). Intraarterial infusion chemotherapy using an external catheter has been performed by several investigators with response rates of 50–60% (2,8,15,16). Survival, however, averages only 8 1/2 to 10 months, which is not significantly different from historical controls. The major problem with this therapy appears to be technical difficulties related to the external pump and catheter and the resultant necessity to terminate the intra-arterial chemotherapy (10). Radiation of the liver as an adjunct to hepatic infusion therapy has been utilized (5).
KeywordsHepatic Resection Hepatic Metastasis Infusion Chemotherapy Major Hepatic Resection Hepatic Artery Infusion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Buchwald, H., Grage, T.B., Vassilopoulos, P.P., Rhode, T.D., Varco, R.L. Blackshear, P.J.: Intra-arterial infusion chemotherapy for hepatic carcinoma using a totally implantable infusion pump. Cancer45:866– 9, 1980.Google Scholar
- 11.Ensminger, W., Neiderhuber,J., Dakhl, S., Thrall, J., Wheeler, R.: Totally implanted drug delivery system for hepatic arterial chemotherapy. Cancer Treat. Rep.65: 383–400, 1981.Google Scholar
- 14.Goslin, R., Steele, G., Zamchjid, N., Mayer, R., MacAntyre, J.: Factors influencing survival in patients with hepatic metastases from adenocarcinoma of the colon or rectum. Disease of Colon & Rectum, Vol. 25, No. 8, 749–753, Nov.-Dec., 1982.Google Scholar
- 15.Jaffe, B.M., Donegan, W.L., Watson, F., Spratt, J.S.: Factors influencing survival in patients with untreated hepatic metastases. Surg Gynecol. Obstet127: 1–11, 1968.Google Scholar
- 18.Shepard, K.V., Levin, B., Karl, R.C., Faintuch, J., DuBrow, R.A., Hagle, M., Cooper, R.M., Beschorner, J., and Stablein, D.: Therapy for metastatic colorectal cancer with hepatic artery infusion chemotherapy using subcutaneous implanted pump, J. Clin. Oncol.3, 161–169, 1985.Google Scholar