Primary and Secondary Changes in Axonal Transport in Neurofibrillary Disorders
Neurofibrillary changes are pathological hallmarks of a variety of neurotoxic and degenerative disorders. Progress during the last five years in reconstructing the pathogenesis of neurofibrillary changes has resulted from correlations of ultrastructural findings with aberrations in the axonal transport of neurofilament proteins. The first neurotoxic agent studied in this fashion was β,β’-iminodipropionitrile (IDPN) (Griffin et al., 1978). Recently, comparable studies have become available on aluminum (Troncoso et al., 1983; Bizzi et al., 1984; Parhad et al., 1984), colchicine (Komiya and Kurokawa, 1980), 3,4-dimethyl-2,5-hexanedione (DMHD) (Griffin et al., 1984), acrylamide (Sidenius and Jakobsen, 1983; Gold et al., 1985), and 2,5- hexanedione (Gold, Griffin, Price, unpublished observation).
KeywordsDorsal Root Ganglion Axonal Transport Ventral Root Axonal Swelling Slow Transport
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gold, B. G., Griffin, J. W. and Price, D. L., 1985, Slow axoplasmic transport in acrylamide neuropathy: different abnormalities produced by single-dose and continuous administration, J. Neurosci., (in press).Google Scholar
- Griffin, J. W., Hoffman, P.N., Clark, A. W., Carroll, P.T. and Price, D. L., 1978, Slow axonal transport of neurofilament proteins: impairment by β,β’-iminodipropionitrile administration, Science, 202: 633–635.Google Scholar
- Hoffman, P. N. and Lasek, R. J., 1980, Axonal transport of the cytoskeleton in regenerating motor neurons: constancy and change, Brain Res., 202: 317–333.Google Scholar
- Komiya, Y. and Kurokowa, M., 1980, Preferential blockade of the tubulin transport by colchicine, Brain Res. 190: 505–516.Google Scholar
- Lasek, R. J. and Hoffman, P. N., 1976, The neuronal cytoskeleton, axonal transport and axonal growth, Cold Spring Harbor Conferences on Cell Proliferation 3: 1021–1049.Google Scholar
- Parhad, I. M., Griffin, J. W. and Koves, J. F., 1984, Aluminum intoxication in the visual system: Morphological and axonal transport studies, Neurology, 34 (Suppl 1): 197.Google Scholar
- Roots, B. I., 1983, Neurofilament accumulation induced in synapses by leupeptin, Science, 221: 971–972.Google Scholar
- Stanley, E. F., Hoffman, P. N., Griffin, J. W. and Price, D. L., 1984, Effect of axotomy on conduction in the proximal motor nerve, Neurology, 34 (Suppl 1): 182.Google Scholar