Distribution of Human T-Cell Leukemia Virus Type- I (HTLV-I) Family Among Non-Human Primates
The seroepidemiological surveys of human T-cell leukemia virus type-I (HTLV-I) family were conducted among free-ranging Japanese monkeys, Asian and African non-human primates kept in cages and sampled in the field study. Seropositive animals to HTLV-I family in nature belonged to macaques originated from various localities in Asia. Grivet monkeys and Anubis baboons including those hybrid offspring between Anubis and Hamadryas were seropositive for HTLV-I family in Africa. As a result, HTLV-I family was proved to be widespread on Asian and African Continent. Thus the wide geographic and phylogenetic distribution of HTLV-I family in nature among various species of catarrhines suggests that the introduction of this virus family into primates occurred in ancient times and the HTLV-I family was considered as a common retrovirus among catarrhines.
KeywordsGlycerol Acetone Lymphoma Cage Leukemia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Takatsuki, K., Uchiyama, T., Sagawa, K. and Yodoi, J. In: Topics in Hematology (Eds. S. Seno, F. Takaku and S. Irino), Excerpta Medica, Amsterdam, 1977, pp. 73–77.Google Scholar
- 5.The T- and B-cell Malignancy Study Group. Jpn. J. Clin. Oncol. 11: 15–38, 1981.Google Scholar
- 13.Pan, I-H., Chung, C-S., Komoda, H. and Hinuma, Y. Jpn. J. Cancer Res. (Gann) 76: 9–11, 1985.Google Scholar
- 21.Fooden, J. Bibliotheca Primatol. 10: 1–148, 1969.Google Scholar
- 28.Cronin, J.E. In: New Interpretation of Apes and Human Ancestry (Eds. S.L. Ciochon and R.I. Corruccini), Plenum Press, New York and London, 1983, pp.115–150.Google Scholar
- 30.Ishikawa, K. et al., in preparation.Google Scholar
- 32.Becker, W. and Kurth R. Abst. 6th Int. Congr. Virol. P. 350, 1984.Google Scholar
- 33.Hayami, M. In: Cancer Review Vol. 1 (Ed. Y. Hinuma), Munksgaard, Copenhagen, 1985, in press.Google Scholar
- 36.Sarich, V. and Cronin, J.E. In: Molecular Anthropology (Eds. M. Goodman and R.E. Tashian), Plenum Press, New York and London, 1976, pp. 141–170.Google Scholar