Potassium Citrate Therapy of Nephrolithiasis
Potassium citrate is a new and exciting therapeutic modality introduced in 1985 for the management of a wide variety of stone-forming disorders. It has reawakened interest in the deranged citrate metabolism in nephrolithiasis and in the physicochemical effects of citrate in stone formation. It has substantially expanded our capability for an effective medical control of stone disease. The approval of this drug in the United States represented a culmination of our seven years of extensive laboratory and clinical work. This chapter will review this work pertaining to: (1) physicochemical action of citrate, (2) physiological effect of potassium citrate, (3) physicochemical effect of potassium citrate, (4) long-term clinical trial with potassium citrate and safety of potassium citrate.
KeywordsUric Acid Stone Formation Calcium Oxalate Renal Tubular Acidosis Potassium Citrate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Pak, C.Y. C. 1978. Calcium urolithiasis: pathogenesis, diagnosis and management. New York: Plenum Publishing, pp. 5–36.Google Scholar
- 7.Pak, C. Y. C, Nicar, M. and Northcutt, C. 1982. The definition of the mechanism of hyper-calciuria is necessary for the treatment of recurrent stone formers. In Contributions to Nephrology, G.M. Berlyne, S. Giovannetti and S. Thomas (eds.). Basel: S. Karger, pp. 136–151.Google Scholar
- 17.Pak, C.Y.C., Peterson, R., Sakhaee, K., Fuller, C, Preminger, G. and Reisch, J. 1985. Correction of hypocitraturia and prevention of stone formation by combined thiazide and potassium citrate therapy in thiazide-unresponsive hypercalciuric nephrolithiasis. Am. J. Med. 79:284–288.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Pak, C.Y.C. 1985. Renal calculi. In Cecil Textbook of Medicine, J.B. Wyngaarden, L.H. Smith, Jr. and F. Plum (eds.). Philadelphia W.B. Saunders Co., pp. 628–633.Google Scholar
- 25.Pak, C. Y.C., Britton, F., Peterson, R., Ward, D., Northcutt, C, Breslau, N. A., McGuire, J., Sakhaee, K., Bush, S., Nicar, M., Norman, D.A. and Peters, P. 1980. Ambulatory evaluation of nephrolithiasis. Classification, clinical presentation and diagnostic criteria. Am. J. Med. 69:19–30.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar