The treatment of Malignant Melanoma by Fast Neutrons
Malignant melanoma is posing an increasing problem in the temperate zones as the incidence is rising and the population presenting with the disease is becoming younger . Conventional treatment has involved wide excision of the lesion with skin grafting which has produced high local control rates for small superficial tumors. However, it is not a satisfactory form of treatment for recurrent or deeply infiltrating tumors or for lesions in sites where wide excision would cause disfigurement or morbidity . For tumors such as these and for widely disseminated disease, alternative forms of therapy have been sought for many years. Radiotherapy, chemotherapy, and immunotherapy have all been studied in clinical trials both alone and as adjuvants to surgery.
KeywordsFast Neutron Field Size Linear Energy Transfer Complete Regression Wide Excision
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ellwood JM: The epidemiology of malignant melanoma. Hospital Update 11:503–514, 1985.Google Scholar
- 3.Clark WH: In: The histogenesis and biologic behavior of primary human malignant melanomas of the skin, Bernardino EA, Mihm MC (eds). Cancer Res 29:705–726, 1969.Google Scholar
- 9.Adair FE: The treatment of melanoma. Surg Gynaecol Obstet 62:406–409, 1936.Google Scholar
- 11.Mastrangelo M: In: Cancer; principles and practice of oncology, De Vita VT, Hellman S, Rosenberg SA (eds). New York: Lippincott, 1982, p 1132.Google Scholar
- 19.Rofstad EK, Brustad T: Radiosensitivity of the cells of an established human melanoma cell line and the parent melanoma xenograft. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 44:447–454, 1983.Google Scholar
- 22.Hall EJ: Radiobiology for the radiologist. Maryland: Harper and Row, 1978, p 98.Google Scholar
- 31.Stone RS: Clinical experience with fast neutron therapy. Am J Roentgenol 59:771–781, 1948.Google Scholar
- 32.Sheline GE, Philips TL, Field SB, Brennan TJ: Effects of fast neutrons on skin. Am J Roentgenol Radiother Nucl Med 111:31–41, 1971.Google Scholar
- 35.Catterall M, Bewley DK: Fast neutrons in the treatment of cancer, London: Academic Press, 1979.Google Scholar