Cytochrome C Oxidase: Past, Present and Future
In the present report the last ten years of scientific research in our laboratory will be reviewed. A particular accent will be given to the data being presently elaborated and to the future lines which can be already forseen. The work with cytochrome c oxidase has experienced the same evolution as the general field of bioenergetics: Studies centered largely on function have developed into more structural research to end up in the beginning of the molecular biology of such a complex enzyme.
KeywordsPermeability Lithium Cystein Respiration Sedimentation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 11.R. Bisson, A. Azzi, H. Gutweniger, R. Colonna, C. Montecucco, and A. Zanotti, Interaction of cytochrome c with cytochrome c oxidase. Photoaffinity labeling of beef heart cytochrome c oxidase with arylazido-cytochrome c, J. Biol. Chem. 253: 1874 (1978).Google Scholar
- 13.R. Bisson, C. Montecucco, H. Gutweniger, and A. Azzi, Hydrophobic labelling of bovine heart cytochrome c oxidase with an azido- phosphatidylcholine, Biochem. Soc. Trans. 7: 156 (1979).Google Scholar
- 14.R. Bisson, C. Montecucco, H. Gutweniger, and A. Azzi, Cytochrome c oxidase subunits in contact wit phospholipids. Hydrophobic photo- labeling with azidophospholipids, J. Biol. Chem. 254: 9962 (1979).Google Scholar
- 22.A. Azzi, Cytochrome c oxidase. Towards a clarification of its structure, interactions and mechanism, Biochim. Biophys. Acta 594: 231 (1980).Google Scholar
- 27.M. Thelen, P.S. O’Shea, G. Petrone, and A. Azzi, Proton translocation by a native and subunit Ill-depleted cytochrome c oxidase reconstituted into phospholipid vesicles. Use of fluorescein-phosphatidylethanolamine as an intravesicular pH indicator, J. Biol. Chem. 260: 3626 (1985).Google Scholar
- 29.M. Thelen, P.S. O’Shea, and A. Azzi, New insights on the cytochrome c oxidase proton pump, Biochem. J. 227: 63 (1985).Google Scholar
- 30.R.P. Casey, M. Thelen, and A. Azzi, Dicyclohexylcarbodiimide binds specifically and covalently to cytochrome c oxidase while inhibiting its H+-translocating activity, J. Biol. Chem. 255: 3994 (1980).Google Scholar
- 32.A. Azzi, R.P. Casey, and M.J. Nałcz, The effect of N,Nf-Dicyclo-hexylcarbodiimide on enzymes of bioenergetic relevance, Biochim. Biophys. Acta 768: 209 (1984).Google Scholar
- 33.M.J. Nałcz, R.P. Casey, and A. Azzi, Use of N,Nf-dicyclohexylcarbodiimide to study membrane-bound enzymes, Methods Enzymol. 125: 86 (1986).Google Scholar