Plant Mitochondrial Genes, Cytochrome C Oxidase and Cytoplasmic Male Sterility
In the mitochondrial genome of cytoplasmic male sterile plants multiple recombination events have created unique chimaeric genes. These may be expressed as variant polypeptides, in one specific case as a modified form of cytochrome c oxidase subunit 1 polypeptide, and in another as a novel polypeptide apparently associated with this same subunit. Models for the molecular basis of cytoplasmic male sterility are discussed in relation to function and biogenesis of cytochrome c oxidase.
KeywordsMitochondrial Genome Cytoplasmic Male Sterility Oxidase Subunit coxI Gene Plant Mitochondrion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. Douce, “Mitochondria in Higher Plants”., Academic Press, Orlando (1985).Google Scholar
- 2.B.L. Ward, R.Anderson and A. J. Bendich. The size of the mitochondrial genome is large and variable in a family of plants (Cucurbitaceae). Cell 25: 793 (1981).Google Scholar
- 4.P. G. Isaac, V. P. Jones and C. J. Leaver, The maize cytochrome c oxidase subunit I gene: sequence, expression and rearrangement in cytoplasmic male sterile plants, EMBO J. 4: 1617 (1985).Google Scholar
- 6.R. Hiesel, W. Schobel, W. Schuster and A. Brennicke, The cytochrome oxidase subunit I and subunit III genes in Oenothera mitochondria are transcribed from identical promoter sequences, EMBO J. 6: 29 (1987).Google Scholar
- 7.A. J. Dawson, V. P. Jones and C. J. Leaver, The apocytochrome b gene in maize mitochondria does not contain introns and is preceded by a potential ribosome binding site, EMBO J. 3: 2107 (1984).Google Scholar
- 12.A. J. Dawson, T. P. Hodge, P. G. Isaac, C. J. Leaver and D. M. Lonsdale, Location of the genes for cytochrome oxidase subunits I and II, apocytochrome b, alpha—subunit of the F1—AT Pase and the ribosomal RNA genes on the mitochondrial genome of maize (Zea mays L.), Curr. Genet. 10: 561 (1986).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.A. J. Dawson, V. P. Jones and C. J. Leaver, Identification and characterisation of higher plant mitochondrial genes. Methods in Enz. 118: 400 (1986).Google Scholar
- 15.E. Hack and C. J. Leaver, The alpha-subunit of the maize F1-AT Pase is synthesised in the mitochondrion, EMBO J. 2: 1783 (1983).Google Scholar
- 20.L. K. Dixon and C. J. Leaver, Mitochondrial gene expression and cytoplasmic male sterility in sorghum, Plant Mol. Biol. 1: 89 (1982).Google Scholar