Superexchange Mediated Superconductivity in the Single Band Hubbard Model
We discuss the physics of BCS pairing in the strongly correlated single band Hubbard model close to half-filling. In contrast to spin-fluctuation mediated pairing of importance in 3 He and heavy Fermion systems, we argue that the superexchange mediated pairing proposed by Anderson is stabilized by short range antiferromagnetic spin ordering. A mean field calculation shows that coexistence of antiferromagnetism and superconductivity is a stable solution for a doped Mott-Hubbard system.
KeywordsHubbard Model Coulomb Repulsion Pairing Mechanism Heavy Fermion System Resonant Valence Bond
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- see recent review by T.M. Rice, PreprintGoogle Scholar
- D. Vaknin, S.K. Sinha, D.E. Moncton, D.C. Johnston, J. Newsam, and H. King, preprint; S. Mitsuda, G. Shirani, S.K. Sinha, D.C. Johnston, M.S. Alvarez, D. Vaknin, and D.E. Monkton, preprint; T. Freltoft, J.P. Remeika, D.E. Moncton, A.S. Cooper, J.E. Fischer, D. Harshman, S.K. Sinha, and D. Vaknin, preprint; D.C. Johnston, J.P. Stokes, D.P. Goshorn, and J.T. Lewandowski, preprint.Google Scholar
- G. Baskaran, Z. Zou, and P.W. Anderson, to be published in Solid State Comm.Google Scholar
- A.E. Ruckenstein, P.J. Hirschfeld, and J.Appel, Phys.Rev.B July 1, 1987.Google Scholar
- M. Inui, S. Doniach, P.J. Hirschfeld, and A.E. Ruckenstein, submitted to Phys.Rev. Lett.Google Scholar
- J.A. Yarmoff, D.R. Clarke, W. Drube, U.O. Karlsson, A. Taleb- Ibrahimi, and F.J. Himpsl, Phys.Rev.B, Rapid Communications, to be published.Google Scholar
- Grabowski and L.J.Sham, these proceedings.Google Scholar
- J.E. Hirsch, preprint; B. Shraiman, and E.D. Siggia, private communication; A.E. Ruckenstein, unpublished.Google Scholar
- C.M. Varma, S. Scmitt-Rink, and E. Abrahams, see these proceedings.Google Scholar