Ultrasonic Investigation of Novel Superconducting Systems
Ultrasonic attenuation measurements are reported for the superconducting, normal, and mixed states of the heavy Fermion superconductors UPt3 and URu2Si2 and in the alloys of the ternary superconductors Er1-x HoxRh4B4. A peak in attenuation in the mixed state of UPt3 may be indicative of collective excitations of the flux line lattice. A broad maximum in attenuation is found below the superconducting transition temperature of URu2Si2. An increase in attenuation in the superconducting phase of the reentrant ternary superconductors with x = 0.6 and 0.813 is ascribed to increased spin phonon interaction induced by superconducting screening of crystalline electric fields.
KeywordsVortex Anisotropy Attenuation Coherence Tantalum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Y. J. Qian, M-F Xu, A. Schenstrom, H.-P. Baum, J. B. Ketterson, D. Hinks, M. Levy and B. K. Sarma, Longitudinal Sound Measurements on UPt3 in a Magnetic Field, Solid State Communications (to be published).Google Scholar
- 4.K. J. Sun, A. Schenstrom, B. K. Sarma, M. Levy, J. B. Ketterson, D. Hinks, Longitudinal Sound in UR2Si2, Bull. Amer. Phys. Soc. 32: 641 (1987).Google Scholar
- 5.K. J. Sun, M. Levy, M. B. Maple and M. W. Torikachvilli, Induced Spin Phonon Interaction in the Superconducting State of Ho-Pvich Er1-x Hox Rh4B4, (to be published).Google Scholar
- 8.M.-F. Xu, Y. J. Qian, A. Schenstrom, H.-P. Baum, J. B. Ketterson, D. Hinks, M. Levy and B. K. Sarma, Ratio of Ultrasonic Attenuation in the Superconducting to the normal state in UPt3 (to be published).Google Scholar
- 14.R. Kagiwada, Ultrasonic and Thermal Effects in Superconductors, Thesis 1966, UCLA (unpublished).Google Scholar