Electrical Properties and Microstructure of ZnO-Nb2O5-MnO Ceramics Sintered in the Liquid Phase
Effect of several additives to ZnO-Nb205-MnO system on varistor characteristics were investigated. BaO and Si02 improved the varistor characteristics, but Co0 decreased the nonlinear exponent. The specimens with Si02 fired below the eutectic temperature also showed the nonlinear characteristics. The concentration difference of some components between the ZnO grains and the intergranular phases, and the temperature dependence of these distribution coefficients are essential for the appearance of varistor characteristics. Liquid phase sintering and high wettability are very convenient to elevate the characteristics. The addition of CeO2 markedly decreased the electrical resistivity and did not show the nonlinear characteristic. The addition of Pr6011 did not change the electrical properties but improved the stability of current.
KeywordsZinc Shrinkage Bismuth Wettability Praseodymium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.L. M. Levinson, H. R. Philipp, Zinc Oxide Varistors — A Review, Am.J.Ceram.Soc.Bull., 65: 639 (1986)Google Scholar
- 14.S.R. Sainkar,S. Badrinarayanan, A.P.B. Sinha, S.K. Date, Photoelectron Spectrospic Studies on Zn0-Sb203 Varistors, Appl.Phys.Lett., 39: 65 (1981)Google Scholar
- 15.K. Hamano,A. Sayano, Z. Nakagawa, Sintering and Electrical Resistivity of Zn0-Nb205 Ceramic, Yogyo-Kyokai-shi, 91: 309 (1983)Google Scholar
- 16.A. Sayano,Z. Nakagawa, K. Hamano, Effect of Additives on the Electrical Properties and Microstructure of Zn0-Nb205 Ceramics, ibid., 92: 25 (1984)Google Scholar
- 17.K. Hamano,T. Mitsudome, Z. Nakagawa, Effects of the Cooling Condition on Microstructure and Electrical Properties of the Zn0-Nb205-Mn0 Ceramics, ibid., 93: 442 (1985)Google Scholar
- 18.K.Mukae and I.Nagasawa, Effect of Praseodymium Oxide and Donor Concentration in the Grain Boundary Region of ZnO Varistors, in: “Advances in Ceramics,vol.1 Grain Boundary Phenomena in Electronic Ceramics,” L.M.Levinson,ed.,Am.Ceram.Soc.,Columbus (1987)Google Scholar
- 19.N. Aoki,K. Koumoto, H. Yanagida, Electrical Properties of Zn0-Co0 Solid Solution, 1980 Annual Meeting of Ceram. Soc. of Jpn., 137 (1980)Google Scholar
- 23.I. Baumgartner, R. Einzinger, Epitaxial Growth of ZnO Layers — A New Aspect in Homojunction Models of ZnO Varistors, in: “Mater.Sei. Monographs Vol. 14 Sintering — Theory and Practice,” D.Kolar, S.Pejovnik, M.M.Ristic,ed.,Elservier,Amsterdam (1982)Google Scholar
- 26.D.R. Clarke, Grain Boundary Segregation in a Commercial ZnO — based Varistor, ibid., 50: 6829 (1979)Google Scholar
- 27.Y. Moriyoshi, Varistor, Seramikkusu, 17: 597 (1982)Google Scholar