History, Status and Future of Pulse Oximetry
Within the past 4 years, pulse oximetry has become widely used in anesthesia and many associated critical care situations. At least 15 manufacturers are now marketing these instruments. They have had a major negative effect on the sales of transcutaneous oxygen electrodes. It is thus appropriate to discuss oximetry in this 3rd International Symposium on Transcutaneous Blood Gas Monitoring. Poul Astrup and I have recently published a book and papers on this history [1–2] and Petersen briefly reviewed pulse oximetry history .
KeywordsPulse Oximeter Arterial Oxygen Saturation Transcutaneous Oxygen Major Negative Effect Retinal Vascular Development
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Astrup P, Severinghaus JW. The history of blood gases, acids and bases. Copenhagen: Munksgaard, 1986:332ppGoogle Scholar
- 3.Petersen J: The development of pulse oximetry. Science 1986;232:G135–136Google Scholar
- 5.Wood E, Geraci JE: Photoelectric determination of arterial oxygen saturation in man. J Lab Clin Med 1949;34:387–401Google Scholar
- 6.Zijlstra WG. A manual of reflection oximetry. Van Gorcum, Ed. Assen, Nederland, 1958.Google Scholar
- 7.Aoyagi T, Kishi M, Yamaguchi K, Watanabe S: Improvement of an earpiece oximeter. Abstracts of the 13th annual meeting of the Japanese Society for Medical Electronics and Biological Engineering, 1974, 90–91 (Jap)Google Scholar
- 8.Nakajima S, Hirai Y, Takase H, Kuse A, Aoyagi S, Kishe M, Yamaguchi K. Performances of new pulse wave earpiece oximeter. Respir Circ 1975;23: 41–45Google Scholar
- 10.Asari M, Kemmotsu O. Application of the pulse wave ear oximeter in anesthesiology. Jap J Anesthesiol 1976;26: 205–207(in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 11.Suzukawa M, Fujisawa M, Matsushita F, Suwa K, Yamamura H. Clinical Use of Pulse-type Fingeroximeter in Anesthesia. Jap. J Anesthesiol 1978; 27:600–605. (transl Mochida Pharmaceutical Co Ltd, Tokyo)Google Scholar
- 15.Shippy MB, Petterson MT, Whitman RA, Shivers CR. A clinical evaluation of the BTI Biox II ear oximeter. Resp Care 1984;29: 730–735Google Scholar