Effects of Cisplatin and Carboplatin on Neurohypophysis, Parathyroid and their Role in Nephrotoxicity
Cisplatin (CDDP) is currently one of the most valuable antineoplastic drugs (1) with several toxic side effects of which nephrotoxicity is the major dose limiting factor in its use (2). The primary mechanism of its action has been proposed to be through its cross-linking DNA strands (3). It has also been shown to inactivate various transport enzymes and induce hypocalcemia and hypomagnesemia (4), in addition it causes inhibition of karyokinesis and cytokinesis (5). Cisplatin induces morphological changes in the kidney with hampered urine output depending upon the specie or the strain of animal being used for treatment or testing. Carboplatin (CBDCA) a second generation analogue, however, has proven to be diuretic and less nephrotoxic in some animals. Thus different analogues of platinum have proven to influence the kidney function differently. Cisplatin induces diuresis in Long-Evans rats where as carboplatin is antidiuretic in the same strain of rat (6).
KeywordsToxicity Platinum Arginine Dehydration Prostaglandin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Carter, S.K. In: Platinum coordination complexes in cancer chemotherapy (Eds. M.P. Hacker, E.B. Double, and I.H. Krakoff) Martinus Nijhoff Publishing, Boston, pp. 359–396, 1984.Google Scholar
- 2.Hrushesky, W.J.M. In: Platinum coordination complexes in cancer chemotherapy (Eds. M.P. Hacker, E.B. Double, and I.H. Krakoff), Martinus Nijhoff Publishing, Boston, pp. 165–186, 1984.Google Scholar
- 5.Aggarwal, S.K. J. Cell Biol., 83: 327a, 1979.Google Scholar
- 8.Jkeda, H., Nakano, G., Nagashima, K., Sakamoto, K., Harasawa, N., Kitamura, T., Nakamura, T., and Nagamachi, Y. Cancer Res., 47: 231–234, 1987.Google Scholar
- 9.Aggarwal, S.K., Whitehouse, M.W. and Ramachandran, C. In: Cisplatin: Current concepts and new developments (Eds. A.W. Prestayko, S.T. Crooke, and S.K. Carter), Academic Press, New York, pp. 79–112, 1980.Google Scholar
- 15.Siddik, Z.H., Newell, D.R., Boxall, F.E., Jones, M., McGhee, K.G., Harrap, K.R., In: Platinum coordination complexes in cancer chemotherapy (Eds. M.P. Hacker, E.B. Double and I.H. Krakoff), Martinus Nijhoff Publishing, Boston, pp. 90–102, 1984.Google Scholar
- 19.Bambaur, H.J., Ueno, S., Umar, H. and Ueck, M. Cell Tiss. Res. 237: 491–497, 1984.Google Scholar
- 22.Gordon, J.A., Peterson, L.N. and Anderson, R.J. Am. J. Physiol., 243: F36–43, 1982.Google Scholar