Insect Iridescent Virus Type 9 and Type 16
Insect iridescent viruses type 9 from Wiseana spp. (WIV) and type 16 from Costelytra zealandica (CzIV) were compared with respect to their viral proteins, antigens and physical DNA maps. Analysis by SDS-PAGE showed that WIV and CzIV had major polypeptide bands at 52K and 53K respectively. Using HRPO-labelled antibodies and surface iodination by 125I, several coat-surface proteins were determined. These were the 129K, 99K, 52K and 33K proteins for WIV and 117K, 97K, 53K and 37K proteins for CzIV. The genome size for WIV and CzIV was 192.5Kbp and 168.5Kbp respectively. Comparison of the DNA by REN mapping and DNA hybridizations showed that although the viruses are related there are distinct differences. When 32p-labelled CzIV DNA was hybridized to Southern blotted WIV DNA, a 24Kbp region of non-homology was found (12.5% of the genome). When 32P-labelled WIV DNA was hybridized to CzIV DNA, a 67Kbp (or 39.7%) region of non-homology with CzIV was found. A partial amino acid sequence of the major protein from WIV was obtained and an oligonucleotide probe was synthesized. The probe was used to locate the position of the VP52 gene on the DNA map.
KeywordsCoat Protein Cyanogen Bromide Partial Amino Acid Sequence Major Protein Band Major Polypeptide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kalmakoff, J. and Robertson, J.S. Proc. Univ. Otago Med. School 48: 16–18, 1970.Google Scholar
- 3.Moore, S.G. Virus diseases of two insect pests of pastures: Potential for biological control. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand, 1973.Google Scholar
- 6.Ward, V.K. Characterisation of two Wiseana spp. viruses. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand, 1987.Google Scholar
- 10.Ward, V.K. and Kalmakoff, J. Insect Iridoviridae. In: Invertebrate Viruses (Ed. E. Kurstak), CRC Press, Inc., Boca Raton, USA. 1989 (in press).Google Scholar
- 19.Protein Identification Resource, National Biomedical Research Foundation, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington D.C., USA.Google Scholar
- 38.Howey, P.M., Israel, M.A., Law, M. and Martin, M.A.J. Biol. Chem. 254: 4876–4883, 1979.Google Scholar