Cerebral Hemisphere Glioma
The cerebral hemisphere gliomas are found most often in adults, and thus childhood cerebral gliomas have not been extensively reviewed and reported, as have the other common pediatric intracranial tumors such as medullo-blastoma, brainstem glioma, optic glioma, and cerebellar astrocytoma. In some reported series, the pediatric cerebral gliomas of a particular histology are included together with the same histological types of other sites such as the infratentorial region. Sometimes, series have been reported in which many different histological types have been included in the category of cerebral or hemispheric tumor without separately reporting data on the various histological types. Often, childhood cerebral gliomas have been included in reported series compiled of mainly adult patients.
KeywordsMalignant Glioma Glioblastoma Multiforme Postoperative Radiotherapy Pilocytic Astrocytoma Childhood Brain Tumor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Jacobi G, Kornhuber B: Malignant brain tumors in children. In Jellinger K (ed), Therapy of Malignant Brain Tumors. Vienna: Springer-Verlag, 1987, pp 396–493.Google Scholar
- 3.Laurent JP, Cheek WR: Brain tumors in children. In Fishman MA (ed), Pediatric Neurology. Orlando: Grune and Stratton, 1986, pp 325–340.Google Scholar
- 4.Bloom HJG: Treatment of brain gliomas in children. In Blecher NM (ed), Tumours of the Brain. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 1985, pp 121–140.Google Scholar
- 12.Kazner E, Wende S, Grumme T, Lanksch W, Stochdorph O. Computed Tomography in Intracranial Tumours. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 1982.Google Scholar
- 29.Bloom HJG: Intracranial tumors: Response and resistance to therapeutic endeavors, 1970–1980. Int J Radiation Oncol Biol Phys 8: 1083–1113, 1982.Google Scholar
- 30.Finley JL, Goins SC: Brain tumors in children. III. Advances in chemotherapy. Am J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 9:264–271, 1987.Google Scholar
- 33.Deutsch M, Green SB, Strike TA, Burger PC, Robertson JT, Selker RG, et al.: Results of a randomized trial comparing BCNU plus radiotherapy, streptozotocin plus radiotherapy, BCNU plus hyperfractionated radiotherapy, and BCNU following misonidazole plus radiotherapy in the postoperative treatment of malignant glioma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 16:1389–1396, 1989.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 35.Wara WM, Edwards MSB, Levin VA, Heideman R, Urtasun R, Diaz RE, Silver P, Sposto R: A new treatment regimen for brainstem glioma: A pilot study of the Brain Tumor Research Center and Children’s Cancer Study Group. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 12 (Suppl 1): 143–144 (abstract), 1986.Google Scholar
- 38.Bleyer W, Millstein J, Balias F, et al.: 8 drugs in 1 day chemotherapy for brain tumors: A new approach and rationale for preradiation chemotherapy. Med Pediatr Oncol 11:213 (abstract), 1983.Google Scholar
- 41.Courville CB: Ganglioglioma: Tumor of the CNS. Review of the literature and report of 2 cases. Arch Neurol Psychiatry 24:434–491, 1930.Google Scholar
- 42.Johannsson, JH, Rekate HL, Roessmann U: Gangliogliomas: Pathological and clinical correlation. J Neurosurg 54:48–63, 1981.Google Scholar