Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Head and Neck Cancer
Magnetic resonance (MR) has revolutionized head and neck imaging and has largely replaced computed tomography (CT) as the study of choice for malignancies of the extracranial head and neck. Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) easily surpasses CT in its ability to differentiate subtle differences in soft tissue boundaries and extensions of tumors of the head and neck. The beam hardening artifacts on CT images from dental amalgam and dense cortical bone of the mandible, skull base, shoulders and other areas are also not a problem with MRI. Multiplanar imaging capabilities and lack of ionizing radiation make MR the preferred imaging study for many head and neck processes that would have in the past required a CT scan.
KeywordsLymphoma Adenocarcinoma Adenoma Gadolinium Dinated
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Robinson JD, Crawford S, Teresi L, Schiller VL, Lufkin RB, Harnsberger HR, Dietrich RB, Crim JR, Duckwiler GR, Spickler E, Hanafee W: Gadolinium MR imaging in the head and neck. Radiology (in press).Google Scholar
- 17.Batsakis JG: Tumors of the Head and Neck: Clinical Pathological Consideration, ed 2. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins, 1979.Google Scholar
- 18.Stark DD, Moss AA, Gamsu G, Clark OH, Gooding GW, Webb WR: Magnetic resonance imaging of the neck. Part 1. Normal anatomy. Radiology 150:447–454, 1983.Google Scholar
- 20.Lufkin RB, Hanafee W: Application of surface coils to NMR anatomy of the larynx. American Journal of Neuroradiology: AJR 491–497, 1985.Google Scholar
- 24.Stark DD, Moss AA, Gamsu G, Clark OH, Gooding GW, Webb WR: Magnetic resonance imaging of the neck. Part 2. Pathologic anatomy. Radiology 150:455–462, 1983.Google Scholar
- 27.Last RJ: Anatomy: regional and applied. 6th ed. New York: Churchill Livingstone, 1978.Google Scholar
- 31.Teresi L, Lufkin R, Kolin E, Hanafee W, et al.: MRI of the intraparotid facial nerve. American Journal of Neuroradiology 8(2):253–259, 1987.Google Scholar
- 37.Lufkin R, Hanafee W: MR Atlas of Head and Neck Anatomy, New York, Raven Press, 1989.Google Scholar