Network Management Policies: What Aims and How to Pursue Them
The planning of the Italian Network Supervision Center (CSN) that the Operating Company is currently developing, has given rise to considerations about purposes and technical studies of traffic management strategies.
This paper focuses attention on Grade Of Service (GOS) requirements and expansive controls. It proposes some aims and strategies and takes into account that each network has specific constraints, due to the system features, to the load variations and to the policies pursued by the Operating Company.
These concepts will be useful to develop Network Management (NM) strategies in the Italian digital long distance network. The efficiency of proposed indicators, diagnosis criteria and controls has been tested by a simulation model.
KeywordsTraffic Load Network Management Loss Probability Anomaly Correlation Trunk Group
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Buk67]P.J. Burke: “Automatic Overload Controls in a Circuit-Switched Communication Network” V ITC - New York 1967Google Scholar
- [Hae81]D.G. Haenschke, D.A. Kettler, E. Oberer “Network Management and Congestion in the U.S Telecommunication Networks” IEEE Trans, on Comm. vol.com-29., n.4, Aprir81 Google Scholar
- [Bos79]P. Bostica, M. Butto’, A. Tonietti “Statistical Methods for Detecting Overloads in a Think Group”, IX ITC - Torremolinos 1979Google Scholar
- [Aki83]J.M Akinpelu: “The Overload Performance of Engineered Networks with Non- hierarchical and Hierarchical routing”, X ITC - Montreal 1983Google Scholar
- [Bug89]M. Burgassi, M. Butto, G. Miranda “Un Projet Experimental pour la Gestión du TVafic dans le Reseau Italien” To be published on “Annales des Telecommunications”Google Scholar
- [Szy79]E. Szybicki, A.E. Bean “Advanced Traffic Routing in Local Telephone Networks; Performance of Proposed Call Routing Algorithms”, IX ITC - Torremolinos 79Google Scholar
- [Che86]P. Chemouil, J. Filipiak, P. Gauthier “Analysis and Control of Traffic Routing in Circuit-Switched Networks”, Computer networks and ISDN systems J., Vol. 11, n. 3, 1986Google Scholar