Although confocal microscopes were invented a long time ago, they have taken a long time to get off the ground. Until recently, this family of methods of microscopy was in the hands of the developers. However, many different manufacturers have now appeared on the scene with instruments ready for purchase.
KeywordsFormaldehyde Mercury Fluores Peri FITC
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Minsky, Microscopy Apparatus, United States Patent Office. Filed Nov. 7, 1957, granted Dec. 19, 1961. Patent No. 3, 013, 467 (1961).Google Scholar
- 6.H. T. M. Van der Voort, G. J. Brakenhoff, J. A. C. Valkenburg, and N. Nanninga, “Design and use of a computer-controlled confocal microscope for biological applications,” Scanning 7, 66–78 (1985).Google Scholar
- 9.T. Wilson and C. Sheppard, Theory and Practice of Scanning Optical Microscopy, Academic, London (1984).Google Scholar
- 15.M. D. Egger and M. Petráñ, New reflected-light microscope for viewing unstained brain and ganglion cells, Science 157, 305–307 (1967).Google Scholar
- 16.M. Petran, M. Hadravsky, J. Benes, R. Kucera, and A. Boyde, The tandem scanning reflected light microscope. Part I: the principle, and its design, Proc. Roy. Microsc. Soc. 20, 125–129 (1985).Google Scholar
- 17.A. Boyde, “The tandem scanning reflected light microscope. Part II: pre-Micro’84 applications at UCL,” Proc. Roy. Microsc. Soc. 20, 131–139 (1985).Google Scholar
- 18.M. Petran, M. Hadravsky, and A. Boyde, “The tandem scanning reflected light microscope,” Scanning 7, 97–108 (1985).Google Scholar
- 19.G. Q. Xiao and G. S. Kino, “A real-time confocal scanning optical microscope,” Proc. 4th Int. Symp. on Optical and Optoelectronic App. Sci and Eng., The Hague (1987).Google Scholar
- 27.C. V. Howard, “Real 3-D measurements in microscopy using geometrical probes,” Microsc. Anal. 2, 15–17 (1987).Google Scholar
- 28.A. J. Baddeley, C. V. Howard, A. Boyde, and S. A. Reid, “Three-dimensional analysis of the spatial distribution of particles using the tandem-scanning reflected light microscope,” Acta Stereol. Suppl. Il 6, 87–100 (1987).Google Scholar