Coded Modulations and Diversity for Satellite Cellular Communications
Two detection schemes are considered for the fading channel with co-channel interference. Both schemes exploit the synergy of diversity and coding with maximum-ratio combining and perfect channel state information. The first one — conventional receiver — reduces the error floor by the use of diversity and coding. The second — multi-user receiver — eliminates the error floor by exploiting the structure of the interfering signal which is no more treated as an unknown source of disturbance . Performance results include bit error probability bounds and simulation results for both schemes envisaged.
KeywordsPCS Systems Satellite Communications Coding Diversity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P. Ho and D. K. P. Fung, “Error Performance of Interleaved Trellis Coded PSK Modulations in Correlated Rayleigh Fading Channels,” IEEE Trans. Communications, Vol. 40, No. 12, Dec. 1992.Google Scholar
- H. V. Poor and S. Verdu, “High-speed Digital Signal Processing for Satellite Communications,” Final Report European Space Agency P.O. 134422, Feb. 1995.Google Scholar
- J. Proakis, Digital Communications. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1983.Google Scholar
- M. Schwartz, W. R. Bennett, and S. Stein, Communications Systems and Techniques. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1966.Google Scholar
- G. Ungerboeck, “Channel Coding with Multilevel/Phase Signals,” IEEE Trans, on Inf. Theory, Vol. IT-28, Jan. 1982.Google Scholar
- J. Ventura-Traveset, G. Caire, E. Biglieri, and G. Taricco, “Impact of diversity reception on fading channels with coded modulation. Part I: Coherent detection,” submitted to IEEE Trans. Communications., June 1995.Google Scholar
- J. Ventura-Traveset, G. Caire, E. Biglieri, and G. Taricco, “A multi-user approach to combating co-channel interference in narrowband mobile communications,” 7th Tyrrhenian International Workshop on Digital Communications, Viareggio (LU), Italy, 10–14 Sept., 1995.Google Scholar
- J. Ventura-Traveset, G. Caire, E. Biglieri, and G. Taricco, “Synergy of diversity reception and coded modulation in mobile communication channels,” European Personal Mobile Communications Conference, Bologna, Italy, 30 Nov., 1995.Google Scholar