Channel Control and Multiple-Access
This work considers fundamental performance limits for single and multiuser channels on time-varying (fading) channels. We consider systems which are burst-oriented along the lines of GSM and IS-54. We examine the benefits of exploiting channel feedback to vary transmit information rate/power in a single-user (or orthogonal multiuser) scenario. It is shown that significant increases in spectral efficiency can be expected over constant-rate systems. Even in the latter case, however, higher spectral efficiencies can be expected if high outage probabilities are tolerated. For the general multiuser case, channel feedback can be used to exploit multiuser diversity, which can be seen as a form of selection diversity. We show that the optimal multiple-access method in terms of spectral efficiency is channel-controlled TDMA/FDMA. We discuss some practical issues concerning channel-controlled multiple-access.
KeywordsFading Channel Power Control Outage Probability Spectral Efficiency Maximum Throughput
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Wyner A.D., “Shannon-Theoretic Approach to a Gaussian Cellular Multiple Access Channel,” IEEE Trans. on Information Theory, vol. 40, no.6, pp. 1713–1727.Google Scholar
- Hanly S.H., Information Capacity of Radio Net/works, PhD Thesis, Cambridge, UK, 1993.Google Scholar
- Steele R., Mobile Radio Communications, Pentech Press 1992, chap 8.Google Scholar
- Lee W.C.Y., Mobile Communications Engineering, McGraw-Hill, 1982.Google Scholar
- Goldsmith A., Varaiya P., “Increasing Spectral Efficiency Through Power Control,” Proc. ICC ’93, Geneva, Switzerland, pp. 600–604.Google Scholar
- Gallager R.G., “An Inequality on the Capacity Region of Multiaccess Multipath Channels,” in Communica tions and Cryptography — Two Sides of One Tapestry -, Kluwer 1994, pp. 129–139.Google Scholar
- Knopp R., Humblet P.A., “Multiple Accessing over Frequency-Selective Fading Channels,” Proc. PIMRC ’95, Toronto, Canada, pp. 1326–1330.Google Scholar
- Cheng R.S., Verdú S., “Gaussian Multiaccess Channels with Capacity Region and Multiuser Water-Filling”, IEEE Trans, on Information Theory, vol. 39, no. 3, May 1993.Google Scholar
- The Mobile Communications Handbook,, ed. J.D. Gibson, CRC Press, 1996.Google Scholar