Routing in an ATM-Based Mobile Network
This paper presents a new routing algorithm for a wireless ATM LAN. The LAN combines positive aspects of connection-oriented and datagram communications schemes in its usage of the ATM VP/VC concept. In this scheme, a set of VPI trees, rooted at each node in the LAN, are preestablished. This has the effect of emulating “connectionless” networking which simplifies handoffs and other mobility management tasks. Given that the VPI sink trees are preestablished, there is a need for a procedure to compute and update the routes of these VPI trees with changing conditions in the LAN. Since traffic conditions are likely to change rapidly in mobile networks, we develop the Virtual Trees Routing Protocol (VTRP) to dynamically update the routing of VPI trees to handle congestion and/or topological changes in the network.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. Porter and A. Hopper, “An ATM based protocol for Wireless LANs,” Olivetti Technical Report, April 19, 1994.Google Scholar
- K. Y. Eng, M. J. Karol, M. Veeraraghavan, E. Ayanoglu, C. B. Woodworth, P. Pancha, and R. A. Valenzuela, “A Wireless Broadband Ad-Hoc ATM Local-Area Network,” ACM/Baltzer Journal on Wireless Networks, vol. 1, no. 2, 1995.Google Scholar
- K. Y. Eng, M. J. Karol, M. Veeraraghavan, E. Ayanoglu, C. B. Woodworth, P. Pancha, and R. A. Valenzuela, “BAHAMA: A Broadband Ad-Hoc Wireless ATM Local-Area Network,” Proc. of ICC ’95, pp. 1216–1223, June 1995.Google Scholar
- P. Agrawal, A. Asthana, M. Cravatts, E. Hyden, P. Krzyzanowski, P. Mishra, B. Narendran, M. Srivastava and J. Trotter, “An Indoor Networked Wireless Computing System”, Proc. of ICC’95.Google Scholar
- J. H. Condon, T. S. Duff, M. F. Jukl, C. R. Kalmanek, B. N. Locanthi, J. P. Sav-icki, J. H. Venutolo, “Rednet: A Wireless ATM Local Area Network using Infrared Links”, Proc of ACM Mobicom’95, Berkeley, California, Nov. 95.Google Scholar
- T-H. Wu and L. F. Chang, “Architectures for PCS Mobility Management on ATM Transport Networks,” Proc. of ICUPC ’95, pp. 763–768, Nov. 1995.Google Scholar
- EIA/TIA IS-41 (Revision B): “Cellular Radio-telecommunications Intersystem Operations,” Jan. 1992.Google Scholar
- GSM Recommendation 0.9.02, “Mobile Application Part (MAP) Specification.”Google Scholar
- L. V. Hauwermelren, L. Vercauteren, A. Saidi. T. Van Landegem, “Requirements for Mobility Support in ATM,” Proc. of Globecom 94, pp. 1691-1695, Nov. 1994.Google Scholar
- ATM Forum 94-0471R9, “Private-Network Node Interface Phase 1 Draft Specification.”Google Scholar
- C. Hedrick, “Routing Information Protocol,” Internet RFC 1058, Rutgers University, June 1988.Google Scholar
- I. Katzela and M. Veeraraghavan, “Virtual Trees Routing Protocol for a Mobile ATM LAN,” AT&T Internal Memorandum, available upon request.Google Scholar
- D. Bertsekas and R. Gallagher, “Data Networks,” Prentice-Hall, 1987.Google Scholar