Recent Developments of Adaptive Air Interfaces
Within the European RACE (Research in Advanced Communications for Europe) program several projects have contributed to the development and standardisation of third generation air interfaces. Therefore, several system concepts based on TDMA or CDMA have been developed. For both the selection procedures within the standardisation and a sound comparison of different systems, well defined scenarios and quality of service definitions are a prerequisite.
A major part of this paper concentrates on a description of the ATDMA (Advanced TDMA) system concept and on its evaluation. This project has designed an advanced TDMA radio access scheme for third generation systems. This system concept consists of various new techniques like packet access, novel handover schemes, and link control (a technique adapting the transmission chain to the propagation channel characteristics). Here, an investigation focusing on packet access including capacity issues is given.
KeywordsRadio Access System Concept Link Adaptation Capacity Gain Handover Scheme
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. Urie, M. Streeton, and C. Mourot, “An Advanced TDMA Mobile Access System for UMTS”, IEEE Personal Communications, Vol. 2 No.l, pp. 38 – 47, Feb 95.Google Scholar
- P.G. Andermo and L.M. Ewerbring, “A CDMA-Based Radio Access Design for UMTS”, IEEE Personal Communications, Vol. 2 No. 1, pp. 48 – 53, Feb 95.Google Scholar
- L. Fernandes, “Developing a System Concept and Technologies for Mobile Broadband Communications”, IEEE Personal Communications, Vol. 2 No. 1, pp. 54 – 59, Feb 95.Google Scholar
- K. David, P. Blanc, and T. Kassing, “Performance Evaluation of the RACE/ATDMA System Concept for a 3rd Generation Air Interface by Simulation”, accepted for 46th IEEE VTC, Atlanta, 1996Google Scholar
- K. David, N. Metzner, and T. Wierlemann, “An Adaptive Air Interface for 3rd Generation Mobile Access — Evaluation via realtime and simulation testbeds -”, Tagungsband der 2. ITG Fachtagung Mobile Kommunikation ’95, Neu-Ulm, pp. 125–132, 26–28 Sep 1995Google Scholar
- J. De Vile, “An Access Mechanism for ATDMA”, Proceedings of 7th European Conference on Mobile Radio and Personal Communications, Brighton, UK, 13–15 December 1993.Google Scholar
- D. J. Goodman, “Cellular Packet Communications”, IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 38, August 1990.Google Scholar
- K. David, P. Blanc, J. Irvine, T. Kassing, M. Lopez, R. Maddalena, W. Mohr, and P. Ranta, “First Results of ATDMA’s Test Campaigns”, Proceedings RACE Mobile Telecommunications Summit, pp. 468–472, Portugal, 22–24 Nov. 1995Google Scholar