Static Measurements and Parameter Extraction
The Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor field effect transistor (MOSFET) is one of the key devices for the fabrication of very (or ultra) large scale integrated circuits in modern microelectronics. The performance of the MOSFET is primarily determined by the quality of the gate dielectrics and that of the Si — SiO2 interface which directly affects the carrier transport properties. On the other hand, the modeling of the device characteristics requires the rigorous definition of the MOSFET parameters which mainly control the device operation. Furthermore, the design of analog and digital circuits relies on electrical simulations based on SPICE-like programs in which state-of-the-art MOSFET static models have to be implemented in analytical forms. For this reason, the modeling of the submicron MOS transistor is a mandatory issue for the development of new CMOS circuits and semiconductor memories. Besides, the static measurements and the corresponding parameter extraction of MOSFETs have proved to be a powerful and simple characterization tool even though they are not competing with other electrical techniques also presented in this book.
KeywordsSiO2 Attenuation Poly Silicon
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R. Swansson, J. Meindl, Proc. IEEE Int Solid State Circuits Conf., 110 (1975).Google Scholar
- P. Muls, G. Declerck, R. Van Overstraeten, Advances in Electronics and E)lectron Physics, 47, 197 (1978).Google Scholar
- S. M. Sze, Physics of Semiconductor Devices, Wiley, New-York, 1981.Google Scholar
- R.S. Muller and T.I. Kamins, Device Electronics for Integrated Circuits John Wiley, New-York, 1986.Google Scholar
- F.M. Klaassen, Proc. ESSDERC 90, Nottingham, UK, 1990, Eds. W. Eccleston and P.J. Rosser (Adam Hilger, Bristyol 1990) p.181.Google Scholar
- M. Ida and C. Kita, Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Microelectronics Test Structures, March 1990.Google Scholar
- J.R. Brews, Physics of MOS transistors, in Applied Solid State Science, Supp. 2A (Academic Press, 1981) p. 1.Google Scholar
- E. H. Nicollian and J.R. Brews, MOS (Metal Oxide Semiconductor) Physics and Technology John Wiley, New York, (1982).Google Scholar
- K. Rais, PhD Thesis, University El Jadida (July 1994).Google Scholar
- K. Rais, G. Ghibaudo, F. Balestra, M. Dutoit, Proc. 1st European Workshop on Low Temperature Electronics (WOLTE 1), Eds. G. Ghibaudo and F. Balestra, J. Phys. IV, C6, June 1994, p. 19.Google Scholar
- Operating manual of model K236–238, Keithley Instruments Inc., Cleveland, USA, 1989.Google Scholar
- Operating manual of model HP4145, Hewlett-Packard Inc., Palo Alto, USA, 1990.Google Scholar