DNA Flow Cytometry Application to Clinical Trials in Breast Cancer
The appropriate management of the breast cancer patient with early stage disease is a controversial/frustrating issue. Prognostic factors that could accurately predict tumor behavior would greatly aid both the clinician and the patient in their treatment decisions, The clinical trial setting affords one of the best opportunities to assess new treatment strategies as well as evaluate new prognostic markers. Several prognostic factors are currently being evaluated in a number of clinical trials throughout the United States, the most well established of these markers is DNA flow cytometry.
KeywordsBreast Cancer Node Negative Patient Node Negative Disease Ploidy Status Node Negative Breast Cancer Patient
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Clark GM, Owens MA, McGuire WL: A new S phase model predicts for recurrence for aneuploid as well as diploid node-negative breast cancer. Proc. ASCO 10:44, 1991.Google Scholar
- 9.Klintenberg C, Stal O, Nordenskjold, et al: Proliferative index, cytosolic estrogen receptors and axillary node status as prognostic predictors in human mammary carcinoma. Breast Cancer Res. and Treat. 7 (Suppl) 99–106, 1986.Google Scholar
- 11.Dressier LG, Eudey L, Gray R, et al: Prognostic potential of DNA flow cytometry measurements in node-negative breast cancer patients: Preliminary analysis of an Intergroup Study (INT0076). J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 11:167–172, 1992.Google Scholar
- 19.Dressier L, Mangalik A, Bartow SA, et al: The use of DNA flow cytometry to characterize breast cancer cells affected by pre-surgical (neoadjuvant) chemotherapy. Proc. AACR 33:213, 1992.Google Scholar
- 22.Intergroup Trial (0102). SWOG 8897. ECOG 2188. CALGB 8897. Phase III comparison of adjuvant chemotherapy with or without endocrine therapy in high risk, node negative breast cancer patients, and a natural history follow-up study in low risk, node negative patients. Activated August 1989.Google Scholar
- 23.NSABP Protocol B-18. A “unified” trial to compare short, intensive preoperative systemic adriamycin, cyclophosphamide therapy with similar therapy administered in conventional postoperative fashion. B-18.2. A study to evaluate DNA histograms by flow cytometry.Google Scholar
- 24.Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group Laboratory Study EST4189. Clinical significance and therapeutic impact of DNA flow cytometry measurements of ploidy and S phase and immunohistochemistry of the HER-2NEU oncogene product and steroid hormone receptors: Prediction of disease progression and response to therapy in Stage II breast cancer patients.Google Scholar
- 25.Southwest Oncology Group Laboratory Study 8854. Intergroup (INT0104). Prognostic value of cytometry measurements of breast cancer DNA from post menopausal patients with involved nodes and receptor positive tumors: A comparison protocol to SWOG 8814.Google Scholar