Estimating ages of fish and shellfish is necessary to determine aspects of their biology that are fundamental to fisheries management. These include growth of individual fish and the biomass of the species, age at maturity, and rates of mortality. Age studies form the basis of our increased knowledge of fluctuations in the strength of year classes, and the abundance that might be caused by predation, adverse weather conditions, and density of populations. Variation of growth rates associated with latitude (temperature) require aging of fish before meaningful relationships can be developed. Methods have been discovered and developed to estimate ages of aquatic organisms, and the literature that has accumulated on the subject during the last 90 years is voluminous.
KeywordsBiomass Migration EDTA Shrinkage Smoke
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Age Estimation of Fish and Shellfish
- Everhart, W. H. and W. D. Youngs. 1982. Principles of fishery science. (second edition). Cornell University Press, Ithaca, NY.Google Scholar
- Jearld, A., Jr. 1983. Age determentation. In Fisheries techniques. L. A. Nielsen and D. L. Johnson. (eds.) 301–324. Am. Fish. Soc. Southern Printing Co., Blacksburg, VA.Google Scholar
- Lux. F. E. 1971. Age determination of fishes (Rev.). NOAA/NMFS Fishery Leaflet No. 637. 7 pp.Google Scholar
- Prince, E. D. and L. M. Pulos (eds.). 1983. Proceedings of the international workshop on age determination of oceanic pelagic fishes: Tunas, billfishes, and sharks. NOAA Technical Report NMFS 8. 211 pp.Google Scholar
- Rounsefell, G. A. 1975. Ecology, utilization and management of marine fisheries. C. V. Mosby Co., St Louis, MO.Google Scholar
- Royce, W. F. 1984. Introduction to the practice of fisheries science. Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
Growth Determination (Estimation)
- Burnham, K. P., D. R. Anderson, G. C. White, C. Rrownie, and K. H. Pollock. 1987. Design and analysis methods for fish survival experiments based on release-recapture. Am. Fish. Soc. Monograph No. 5. Bethesda, MD.Google Scholar
- Everhart, W. H. and W. D. Youngs. 1982. Principles of fishery science (Second Edition). Cornell University Press, Ithaca, NY.Google Scholar
- Summerfeit, R. C. 1987. Age and growth of fish. Iowa State University Press, Ames, IA.Google Scholar
- Weatherley, A. H. and H. S. Gill. 1987. The biology of fish growth. Academic Press, Orlando, FL.Google Scholar