Growth Kinetics and Bipyramid-Face Morphology of KDP Crystals
In contrast with the prism faces of KDP crystals, the growth of bipyramid faces is much less sensitive to solution impurities [1–5]. Possibly for this reason they are less studied. Hundreds of articles on the crystallization and properties of KDP crystals have appeared during the 60 years that they have been grown. However, questions concerning the shape of dislocation hillocks, the role of surface diffusion, and the effects of pH and impurities on the kinetic coefficient and linear energy of the steps are still unanswered. In the present work, special attention is paid to the effect of pH on the step kinetics since such studies have not yet been performed.
KeywordsCrystallization Anisotropy Chromium Acidity Pyramid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.L. N. Rashkovich, KDP-Family Single Crystals, Adam Hilger, Bristol (1990).Google Scholar
- 6.R. J. van Rosmalen, Crystal Growth Processes, Thesis, University of Delft (1977).Google Scholar
- 7.L. G. Berg, “Solubility isotherm in the ternary system K2O-P2O5-H2O at 25°C,” Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., No. 1, 147–160 (1938); “Solubility isotherm in the ternary system K2O-P2O5-H2O at 50°C,” ibid., 161–166.Google Scholar
- 8.L. N. Rashkovich, A. A. Mkrtchyan, and A. A. Chernov, “Morphology and kinetic growth of (100) faces of ADP from aqueous solution,” Kristallografiya, 30, No. 2, 380–387 (1985).Google Scholar
- 10.L. N. Rashkovich and B. Yu. Shekunov, “Influence of impurities on growth kinetics and morphology of prismatic faces of ADP and KDP crystals,” in: Growth of Crystals, Vol. 18, E. I. Givargizov and S. A. Grinberg (eds.), Consultants Bureau, New York (1992), pp. 124–139.Google Scholar
- 11.L. N. Rashkovich and G. T. Moldazhanova, “Effect of solution acidity on growth kinetics of KDP crystals,” Kristallografiya, 38, No. 1, 135–140 (1993).Google Scholar
- 12.V. V. Voronkov and L. N. Rashkovich, “Effect of a mobile adsorbed impurity on step movement,” Kristallografiya, 37, No. 3, 559–570 (1992).Google Scholar