Protease Histochemistry in Normal and Uremic Rats
In rats, acute renal failure (ARF) is accompanied by metabolic alterations in various organs such as liver, skeletal muscle and lung and increased protease activities in plasma and bronchial lavage fluid. Little or nothing is known, however, for methodological reasons about possible changes of protease activities at the cellular and intercellular level in these organs (for references see Flügel-Link et al., 1983; Heidland et al., 1984, 1987). Furthermore, investigations are lacking which deal with the possible response of proteases to ARF in other rat tissues. This lack of knowledge initiated the present study in which the cellular and intracellular effects of ARF on proteases are described for several rat tissues using qualitative histochemical means. In addition, we report on the most important findings for the normal protease pattern in these tissues for reasons of comparison but also due to the fact that proteases in particular may show not only striking intraspecies differences (Gossrau, 1985; Gossrau and Graf, 1987 a, b).
KeywordsUrea Pneumonia Serine Arginine Luminal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Flugel-Link, R.M., Salusky, J.B., Jones, M.R., and Kopple, J.D., 1983, Protein and amino acid metabolism in posterior hemicorpus of acutely uremic rats, Am. J. Physiol. (Endocrinol. Metab. 7):E 615.Google Scholar
- Gossrau, R., and Graf, R., 1987 a, in press, Cytochemistry of dipeptidyl peptidase (DPP) IV, Akademie-Verlag, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Gossrau, R., and Graf, R., 1987 b, in press, Species differences and the general biological significance of proteases, Histochem. J. 19.Google Scholar
- Gossrau, R., Heidland, R., and Haunschild, J., 1987 a, in press, Enzyme cytochemistry of rat organs after uremia with special reference to proteases, Histochemistry.Google Scholar
- Heidland, A., Heine, H., Heidbreder, E., Haunschild, J., Weipert, J., Gilge, U., Kluger, G., and Hörl, W.H., 1984, Uremic pneumonitis, Evidence for participation of proteolytic enzymes, Contr. Nephrol. 41:352.Google Scholar
- Heidland, A., Weipert, J., Schaefer, R., Heidbreder, E., Peter, G. and Hörl, W.H., 1987, in press, Proteases and other catabolic factors in renal failure, Kidney Int..Google Scholar
- McDonald, J.K., and A.J. Barrett, 1986, Mammalian proteases, A glossary and bibliography, vol. 2, exopeptidases, Academic Press, London, Orlando, San Diego, New York, Montreal, Sydney, Tokyo, Toronto.Google Scholar
- Spencer, H., 1977, ‘Pathology of the lung’, Pergamon Press, Oxford.Google Scholar