Knuth With Knobs On — Literate Program Development
Two years ago the authors read Knuth’s “Literate Programming” [KNUT84] with great excitement feeling that a door had been opened to superior programming techniques and methodologies. This immediate rapture was somewhat abated when they realised just how limited was the potential user community; the idea was too good to be restricted to the computer scientists and systems programmers of this world. Knuth himself describes his program WEB as: ‘Specifically for the peculiar breed of people who are called computer scientists’.
KeywordsDesign Statement Source Document Executable Code Program Design Language Software Project Management
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BOEH78]Characteristics of Software Quality; B.Boehm et al; North Holland Publishing Company, 1978.Google Scholar
- [CAIN75]PDL - A Tool for Software Design; S.Calne & K.Gordon; Proc. Nat. Comp. Conf.; AFIPS Press, 1975.Google Scholar
- [FAIR85]Software Engineering Concepts; McGraw Hill; 1985.Google Scholar
- [KERN76]Software Tools; B.W.Kernighan & P.J.Plauger; Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass., 1976.Google Scholar
- [KNUT84]Literate Programming; D.E.Knuth; Computer Journal, May, 1984.Google Scholar
- [PETE77]On the Formatting of Pascal Programs; J.L.Peterson; SIGPLAN Notices 12:12, December, 1977.Google Scholar
- [SACK67]Computers, System Science, and Evolving Society; H.Sackman; Wiley, New York, 1967.Google Scholar
- [SHOO83]Software Engineering; M.L.Shooman; McGraw Hill; 1983.Google Scholar
- [WIRT71]Program Development by Stepwise Refinement; N.Wirth; Comm.ACM, Volume 14, Number 4, April, 1971.Google Scholar