Knuth With Knobs On — Literate Program Development
Two years ago the authors read Knuth’s “Literate Programming” [KNUT84] with great excitement feeling that a door had been opened to superior programming techniques and methodologies. This immediate rapture was somewhat abated when they realised just how limited was the potential user community; the idea was too good to be restricted to the computer scientists and systems programmers of this world. Knuth himself describes his program WEB as: ‘Specifically for the peculiar breed of people who are called computer scientists’.
KeywordsLiner Abate Source Line
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BOEH78]Characteristics of Software Quality; B.Boehm et al; North Holland Publishing Company, 1978.Google Scholar
- [CAIN75]PDL - A Tool for Software Design; S.Calne & K.Gordon; Proc. Nat. Comp. Conf.; AFIPS Press, 1975.Google Scholar
- [FAIR85]Software Engineering Concepts; McGraw Hill; 1985.Google Scholar
- [KERN76]Software Tools; B.W.Kernighan & P.J.Plauger; Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass., 1976.Google Scholar
- [KNUT84]Literate Programming; D.E.Knuth; Computer Journal, May, 1984.Google Scholar
- [PETE77]On the Formatting of Pascal Programs; J.L.Peterson; SIGPLAN Notices 12:12, December, 1977.Google Scholar
- [SACK67]Computers, System Science, and Evolving Society; H.Sackman; Wiley, New York, 1967.Google Scholar
- [SHOO83]Software Engineering; M.L.Shooman; McGraw Hill; 1983.Google Scholar
- [WIRT71]Program Development by Stepwise Refinement; N.Wirth; Comm.ACM, Volume 14, Number 4, April, 1971.Google Scholar