Pressure Induced Valence Transition in Cerium Studied by Positron Annihilation Spectroscopy
The low pressure fcc γ-phase of Ce at ambient temperature is known to possess the properties of a trivalent rare earth metal. On the application of pressure at ~ 8 kbar, it undergoes a first order isostructural transition to the a-phase, accompanied by a decrease in lattice parameter from 5.16 to 4.85 Å. At ~ 55 kbar, Ce transforms to another close packed structure (α’ phase) with a lattice parameter of 4.66 Å. Our earlier understanding of the mechanism of the pressure induced γ → α transition was on the basis of the 4f-promotional model . This assumes that the 4f-level in the γ-phase is well localised and occupied by one electron per atom and that this electron is completely or partially (0.7 electron) transferred to the conduction band in the α-phase. Recent spectroscopic measurements such as photo-emission , x-ray absorption  and Compton scattering  provided evidence against the validity of the 4f-promotional model and raised a controversy on the question of valence in the collapsed phase. The detailed mechanism of the valence transitions and the nature of 4f-delocalisation in the high pressure phases are still not fully understood.
KeywordsAngular Correlation Compton Scattering Positron Lifetime Annihilation Rate Positron Annihilation Spectroscopy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D.C. Koskenmaki and K.A. Gschneidner, in “Handbook on the Physics and Chemistry of Rare Earths”, K.A. Gschneidner and L. Eyring eds. (North-Holland, Amsterdam,1978) Vol.1, p.337Google Scholar
- R.D. Parks, M. Martensson and B. Reihl, in “Valence Instabilities”, P. Wachter and H. Boppart, eds (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1982) p. 239.Google Scholar
- A. Platan and S.E. Karlsson, Phys. Rev. B18, 3820 (1978)Google Scholar
- U. Kornstadt, R. Lasser and B. Lengeler, Phys. Rev. B21, 1898 (1980)Google Scholar
- R.F. Gempel, D.R. Gustafson and J.D. Willenberg, Phys. Rev. B5, 2082 (1972)Google Scholar
- J.D. McGervey, S.G. Usmar, N. Panigrahi, O.D. McMasters, K.A. Gschneidner and C.Y. Huang, in “Positron Annihilation”, P.G. Coleman, S.C. Sharma and L.M. Diana, eds. (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1982) p.240Google Scholar
- F. Herman and S. Skilmann, “Atomic Structure Calculations” (Prentice-Hall Inc., Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1963)Google Scholar