An In Vitro Model for Thyroid Autoimmunity
Clinical observations have suggested an association between iodine intake and the occurance of autoimmune thyroiditis in man (1,2), while in areas with endemic goiter prevalence due to iodine deficiency a lower incident of Hashimoto’s thyroditis was found (3), Others, however, have contested these claims (4,5). Experimentally, this association has been demonstrated with genetically susceptible chicken (6), rats (7) and dogs (8) on a high iodized diet. In the present study, we were interested in the effect iodine would have on the functional immune response of human Tlymphocytes in co-cultures with autologous thyroid epithilial cells (TECs). Classically, only immunocompetent cells, namely macrophages are able to present antigen together with the immunregulatory class-II surface antigen(9)•These class-II antigens (in man HLA-D locii) can also be found in vivo (10) and induced by various agents in vitro(11) on TECs. With this background our in vitro model system was designed to i) modulate HLA-D expression on TECs and ii) to investigate,if a potential iodide induced autoantigen on TECs would be presented through HLA-D to autologous T-lymphocytes and thus initiate a proliferative cellular immunresponse. In order to modulate the hypothetical iodine induced autoantigen the influence of Methimazole (MMI) and perchlorate (PC) on the co-culture system was to be studied. MMI has been suspected to act immune suppressively during suppression therapy of Graves’ disease (GD) in vivo and on antibody synthesis in vitro (12). Interestingly, when MMI therapy in GD hyperthyroidism was compared to PC treatment, which clearly is no immuno suppressive agent, both drugs had the same effect on the production of thyroid stimulating antibodies (TSab) (13).
KeywordsCellulose Europe Iodine Hydrocortisone Iodide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.FradkinJE, Wolff J. Iodide-induced thyrotoxicosis. Medicine, 62/1: 1, (1983).Google Scholar
- 4.Vollweider R, Stolkin I, Hedinger C. Fokale lymphozytare Thyreoditis und Jodsalzprophylaxe. Schweizer Med Wschr 112: 482, (1982).Google Scholar
- 5.Harach HR, Escalante DA, Onativia A, Outes JL, Day ES, Williams ED. Thyroid carcinoma and thyroiditis an endemic goiter region before and after iodine prophylaxis. Acta Endocrinol(Kbh) 108: 55, (1985).Google Scholar
- 9.Balfour BM, Drexhage HA, Kamperdijk EWA, Hoefsmit ECM. Antigen-presenting cells,including Langerhans’ cells,veiled cells and interdigitating cells; in microenvironments in haemopoietic and lymphoid differentiations. Ciba Symp 84: 28l,(1981)Google Scholar
- 10.Hafanusa T, Pujol-Borrell R, Chiovato L, Russel RCG, Doniach D, Bottazzo GF. Aberrant expression of HLADR antigen on thyrocytes in Graves’ disease: relevance for auto-immunity. Lancet ii: 1111,(1983).Google Scholar
- 11.Wenzel BE, Gutekunst R, Mansky T, Schultek T, Scriba PC. Thyrotropin and IgG from patients with Graves’ disease induce class-II antigen on human thyroid cells. In:The thyroid and autoimmunity, eds. H.A. Drexhage and W,M. Wiersinga;p. 141Elsevier,(1986).Google Scholar
- 15.Carel JC, Remy JJ, Zuchman D, Salamero J, Charreire J. Role of Methimazole on DR antugen expression on human thyroid epithelial cell cultures, in: The thyroid and autoimmunity;eds. H.A.Drexhage and W.M.Wiersinga.Elsevier, (1986)Google Scholar