Using Modulation Response to Determine Dynamical Parameters and Appropriate Models for Single-Mode Lasers
The modulation of parameters of single-mode and multimode lasers has frequently been used to generate giant “Q-switched” pulses. This modulation is particularly effective when it is matched to the damped relaxation oscillation frequency (or when it is a slightly lower value to match the longer periodicity of the giant pulses) . The nonlinear response of a CO2 laser to modulation was used by Arecchi and coworkers in one of the earliest studies of optical chaos . Further experiments have been performed with cavity loss, gain, and cavity length modulation in CO2 lasers [3–6], primarily for the study of nonlinear dynamics (period doublings, chaos, crises, etc.).
KeywordsCavity Loss Sinusoidal Modulation Bryn Mawr Giant Pulse Multimode Laser
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R.W. Hellwarth, Phys. Rev. Lett., 6, 9 (1961); and in Advances in Quantum Electronics, ed. J.R. singer (Columbia U. Press, NY, 1961) p.334; N.G. Basov, V.S. Zuev, P.G. Krjukiv (1962) reprinted in Lasers, Vol. XA, J. Weber, ed. ( Gordon Breach, NY, 1968 ) p. 257.Google Scholar
- J.R. Tredicce, FT. Arecchi, GP. Puccioni, A. Poggi, W. Gadomski, Phys. Rev. A, 34, 2073 (1985)Google Scholar
- A. Poggi, GP. Puccioni, W. Gadomski, FT. Arecchi and JR. Tredicce, in Optical Instabilities, RW. Boyd, MG. Raymer, and LM. Narducci, eds., (Cambridge U. Press, Cambridge, 1986) p. 303; see also ref 4bGoogle Scholar
- L.X. Chen, A.-Q. Ma, and C.F. Li, Optica Sinica, 8, 132 (1988).Google Scholar
- 7.I.I. Matorin, H.S. Pikovskii, and Ya.I. Khanon, Kvantovaya Elektron. (Moscow), 11, 2096 (1984); T. Erneux, S.M. Baer, and P. Mandel, Phys. Rev. A, 35, 1165 (1987); P. Mandel, P. Nardone, and T. Erneux, J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, 5, 1113 (1988).Google Scholar
- see also FT. Arecchi, W; Gadomski, R. Meucci and JA. Roversi, in Optical Bistability IVW. Firth, N. Peyghambarian, and A. Tallet, eds., (Les Editions de Physique, Paris, 1988) [reprinted from J. Physique (Paris) Colloque, 49, suppl. n°6, C2-363 (1988)]Google Scholar
- F.T. Arecchi, W. Gadomski, R. Meucci, and JA. Roversi, Phys. Rev. A, 39, 4004 (1989).Google Scholar
- M.L. Asquini and F. Casagrande, Nuovo Cim., 2D, 917 (1984).Google Scholar
- 14.J.Y. Gao, ZH. Zhang, XZ. Guo, GX. Jin and NB. Abraham, Phys. Rev. A, submitted 1989.Google Scholar