Solving Partial Differential Equations on a Network of Transputers
This paper describes in a first part some numerical experiments using the transputer. A simple equation (two-dimensional Laplace) was chosen as the vehicle for our efforts. This equation was solved using parallelized versions of the classical algorithms: Jacobi, SOR. Two different parallel methods were used for each of the two algorithms, allowing us to draw some more general conclusions regarding such performance-determining parameters as the computation/communication ratio in transputer networks.
We also speculate on the influence of a much faster floating-point unit on the performance of a network for this kind of problems (such a unit is now available in the form of the T800 Transputer).
In a second part an overview is given of an ESPRIT proposal that aims to design and implement a high level user-friendly programming environment for solving PDE on a network of transputers.
KeywordsAssure Paral Helio
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.. R.W. Hockney and C.R. Jesshope, “Parallel Computers”, Adam Hilger (1981).Google Scholar
- The Transputer Reference Manual, INMOS Documentation.Google Scholar
- 3.. Occam 2 Reference Manual, INMOS Ltd., Prentice Hall (1988).Google Scholar
- 4.. M. Homewood, The IMS T800 Transputer,IEEE Micro, October 1987.Google Scholar
- 5.. D. Reed and R. Fujimoto, Multicomputer networks. Message based parallel processing, M.I.T. (1987).Google Scholar